Trying to conceive. Taking duphaston. Getting period twice in one month. Should I continue this medicine?

Question
My period is irregular and Dr. Advised me to take duphaston. And I have been using this since appx 5 months 14 days twice tablet after 14 days of period. Is it right treatment? And any particular advise to conceive? Should I continue Duphaston medicine.

Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later

When you have irregular periods and you are anxious to conceive, you should see an infertility specialist and get the standard protocol of investigations done. The reasons for irregular periods could be many; so are those for infertility.

You may be having abnormal hypothalamo-pituitary-ovarian axis, the main control to streamline ovarian function, due to polycystic ovaries, thyroid disorders, other endocrine disorders and diseases. There could be diseases affecting the genital organs, tubal blockages, or cervical factors that inhibit sperm movement. Or simply, obesity and stress could be creating a hostile hormonal milieu in the body. There could also be abnormalities of the male factor like inadequate sperm count and immobile sperms. Or simply, the timing of intercourse could be faulty. Some medications can also affect fertility.

You would need a complete hormonal profile, tests of tubal patency, ovarian reserve, insulin resistance, cervical and uterine evaluation and examination of your partner by an XXXXXXX

Duphaston can only help in allowing you to get a regular period but will not help you to conceive. You should be using the proper mode of treatment as suggested by your doctor after investigation. Meanwhile try to maintain a healthy body weight and do some regular daily exercise. Eat healthy and drink plenty of fluids.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Taking duphaston. Getting period twice in one month. Should I continue this medicine? 1 hour later
Dear Dr. As per my test blood test of Thyroxine, TSH , PROLACTIN is normal and ok. As per ultrasoun perhaps doctor told that thickness of ovaries proper egg is not flowing. I m not medical person as doctor told I understood as. So doctor advised to take duphaston aftr 14 days of period 14days twice a day. So advise me, is this treatment and medicine is going well or should I leavethis medicine?

Thanks for writing back.

I presume that your doctor has ordered a complete hormonal profile including FSH/LH study, DHEAS levels, AMH titre as well as a GTT. It appears that you are not ovulating. Duphaston contains progesterone that helps in control of your cycles, but for you to conceive, you would need ovulation induction using drugs like Clomiphene along with follicular study and timed intercourse. You may also need injections to enhance ovulation. If insulin resistance is diagnosed, Metformin is the drug of choice. Endometriosis may also have to be excluded.

You need not leave this medicine, but, as I said earlier, see an infertility specialist for proper management. This medicine alone cannot help you to conceive if you do not ovulate.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. Please feel free to get back if you need further clarifications. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Taking duphaston. Getting period twice in one month. Should I continue this medicine? 18 minutes later
Infact madam, I got marriage on XXXXXXX 12, Dr. Told me thatfew monthsi should takeduphaston and wait. After few months I wll nt conceive then she will take another treatment. Is it right advise?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 21 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

It is true that at least one year is allotted for natural conception to occur after which interference is advised. Yet, I think that in your case, with your age and the irregularity of your periods without Duphaston, it would be ideal to go for further tests and treatment now itself instead of wasting precious time. Please remember that as time elapses, ovarian function will be decreasing and success rate of any treatment will become less.

Hope I have answered all your queries. If you do not have any further queries, you may close this discussion and rate this answer. You are always welcome to get back for further clarifications.

Wish you success and good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.