Trying to conceive. Taking aximo and meftal spas for lower abdominal pain. Hurnia or appendicitis?

Hi - We are trying to have a baby, & the doctors have put my wife on Gestofit 200- twice daily 4 strips, APCOD powder-twice daily for 30 days & Oricitral Syrup.
She is experiencing spasm in the lower abdomen, gets it at least 2-3 times a day. We got another scan done to check ,why there is this pain, however everything looks normal & the doctors say it can be due to infection. They prescribed Taximo & Meftal spas.
The pain still persists after taking the medicine, read that gestofit 200 has side effect, we still have 2 more days to finish Gestofit 200, can't see my wife suffer. Also can these pains be due to Hurnia or appendicitis ? Please advise, we are confused.
Posted Mon, 14 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
The pain in lower abdomen that your wife is having can be due to-
1) Pelvic inflammatory disease - Imaging/ ultrasound could be normal and there may be leukorrhoea. More likely if there is pain during intercourse too.
2) dysuria and frequency.
3) Tubo-ovarian pathologies - are usually visible on imaging studies unless it is a transient problem like torsion
4) Acute appendicitis- usually a right sided pain with fever, vomiting, abdominal distension, etc.
5) Inguinal hernia- usually associated with swelling in the lower abdomen. Rarely seen in females.
Your wife is currently getting treatment for a urinary infection after which there is no pain relief. Gestofit is a natural progesterone preparation given from day 18-28 of the cycle to prepare the endometrium for conception.
Since the ultrasound scan is normal, an intestinal infection seems to be a likely cause. A detailed clinical examination is an integral part of diagnosis.
Discuss with your gynecologist and get a good examination and some basic investigations like blood tests, TVS scan, MRI lower abdomen done to sort out the issue.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Taking aximo and meftal spas for lower abdominal pain. Hurnia or appendicitis? 38 minutes later
She does not have pain during intercourse.

We have done Blood test for HIV, Thyroid, Progesterone, hcg levels, before we started medication

Recently 5 days back, we have got pelvic scan, Lower abdomen, kidney stones & tubes were normal too.

So should we get the transvaginal scan done ? & MRI Lower abdomen same as Lower abdomen scan ?

Highly appreciate your support
Yes, there is no pain relief, she keeps getting pain full cramps in the lower abdomen left region & today the pain stretched till left side of her chest - the pain subsides in 5-10 min usually. so should we continue with the last 2 days of gestofit & other medicines ?

Also does these above scan which my wife has undergone reveal if she has appendicitis or hernia ? or should we get a separate scan for this.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 34 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Since there is no pain on intercourse and the pain is on the left side, pelvic inflammation and appendicitis are not likely.
Pelvic ultrasound has ruled out renal stones or a renal infection.
A TVS scan will help in detecting a pelvic cause related to tubes and ovaries. But the best investigation to rule out any serious pathology will be an MRI scan of the lower abdomen.
Blood tests like hemoglobin, TLC, DLC, ESR, etc will help in detecting any systemic infection.
Since the pain is colicky in nature and subsides after 10 minutes, an intestinal infection is likely which is likely to subside after taking proper antibiotics for at least 7 days.
You can continue with the medicines as prescribed by your gynecologist.
Appendicitis and hernia are best ruled out after a clinical examination.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.