Trying to conceive. Stopped taking pills. Why am I not getting pregnant even after unprotected sex?

Mar 2016

Dear Doctor,
We are trying for pregnancy from last 3-4 months. We have stopped use of pills/condoms while having sex. We have sex almost 3-4 days in a week. But still no results. Pls confirm if we should approach a doctor.
Waiting for your advice. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. S Patra 47 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

High chance of pregnancy depends on proper timing of ovulation & unprotected sexual intercourse. Ovulation occurs approx 14 days before next due date in regular cycle. Ovulation prediction kit is also quite helpful in context to predict ovulation and you shall prepare for that day for unprotected sexual intercourse. You need to do the same for at least 6 months to 1 year to make sure that you have given the natural process a chance. Vitamin E, Zinc and folic acid supplements are very much helpful in improving fertility.

If with the above procedure, you fail to conceive, then you may need some initial investigation to narrow down the possibilities. These include:
1) Fresh semen analysis for husband
2) Ultrasound pelvis to check reproductive organs grossly.
3) Hystero salpingography (HSG)-for tubal patency test.
4) Hormonal test-thyroid profile, LH/FSH, Oestrogen & progesterone level.
5) For ovulation- Day 21 progesterone level assay or serial ultrasound on day 12-16 for follicle measurement.
6) For cervical factor- Post coital test & anti sperm antibody test.
7) Blood sugar (PPBS) etc.

A proper clinical examination and with the help of above investigation, we can reach to a definite diagnosis. So please consult with your gynecologist regarding this for proper guideline & suggestive measures.

Do some basic things also to improve fertility:
1) Take healthy diet with avoidance of fatty/spicy one.
2) Avoid stress by yoga/deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat leafy vegetables & fruits.
4) Control body weight by regular physical exercise.
5) Maintain personal hygiene and need proper sleeping.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health.

Dr Soumen, OBGYN