Trying to conceive. Started spotting with slight cramps after intercourse. HPT negative. Worrisome

Emergency Medicine Specialist
two weeks ago i had a good amount of bright red blood after sex with my husband. spotting lasted for about two days. very light and pinkish in color. during the next two weeks i did not have anbhis past bleeding after intercourse. this past sat the same thing occured. bright red blood after sex. there was spotting sunday and mon. after crossfit on tuesday afternoon i had some cramping and thought i was about to start my cycle. i used the restroom and bight red blood came out in the toliet and on the toliet paper. i thought i had started so i place a tmapon in. the next morning (today) i went to remove the tampon and and there was nothing on there. not even a drop. i have been spotting and slight cramps all day. i have been sick to my stomach the past two days and kinda tired, but i thought maybe it was from the extreme workouts i have been doing. i eat well and my cycles are around 35 days. i was due to start on mon of this week. we have been activly trying to concieve for about two years but really trying the past three months. i have taken a test but it was negative. but when i was pregant with my twins the test didnt show up positive until 9 weeks. i dont want to jump the gun but i also dont want something else to be wrong
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From your description, your symptoms can be clinically defined as "post-coital bleeding" and "inter-menstrual bleeding". The likely causes for your symptoms could be:
1) Cervical problems like a cervicitis or a cervical polyp - these conditions are relatively common and can often present with the symptom of bleeding after sex.
2) Vaginal problems - like atrophic vaginitis or vaginal infections
3) Uterine problems - like fibroids, uterine polyps or endometritis

- Sometimes, a missed abortion can also present with sudden, inter-menstrual bleeding, but this is unlikely since this has happened twice and subsided on its own.

- Rarely, certain abnormal growths can also present with such symptoms.

Since the bleeding is happening recurrently, I would advise you to have a proper gynecological examination and evaluation, to find out the exact cause of your problems. This is important not only to diagnose and treat the current problem, but because, such gynecological problems can sometimes cause fertility problems. So, please consult a gynecologist for a detailed evaluation.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist