Trying to conceive. Started getting irregular period, spotting between period. Vaginal swab normal. Reason?

My periods were regular before. but once I tried for conception it was irregular ( not on regular daysie duration) and sometimes spotting in between the periods. it s like that for the past six months. I have done vaginal swab, its normal.This time scanty blood flow. what might be the reason
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

I would like to have details about your anti-tuberculous-treatment (ATT); when did you have the disease, what was the extent of the disease, what type of medication you had and for how long, were you declared free of the disease by a qualified doctor, whether you had any complications during the course of the treatment. Also, I would like to know when you tried for a pregnancy and what was the reason for the failure, if you had all the protocol infertility work up done before trying to conceive. Please mention if you are currently using any contraception.

Menstrual abnormalities are seen in pulmonary tuberculosis even without involvement of the genital tract while under treatment. If the problem persists even after treatment and infertility occurs, further investigation is required to exclude involvement of the genital tract.

I can advice you further if you can provide me the details I have requested for.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Started getting irregular period, spotting between period. Vaginal swab normal. Reason? 12 hours later

Thank you for the response.
Re : PTB
I had started ATT treatment on Sep 2011 ( Sptum AFB 4 + ) had taken treatment for a year. Treatment was from Auckland Hospital Newzealand, by Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX a respiratory Physician. Medicines which I had taken Rifinah 300mg , Pyrazinamide1250mg, ethambutol hydrochloride 700, pyridoxinehydrochloride 25mg, Ethambutol had taken on only first 3 months of treatment I have tolerated ATT without any side effects. Stenosis of brochioles happened as a result of TB which is corrected by brocoscopy and dialatation. I have done couple of sputum test and Xrays after treatment which all come through as negective.

I have been trying for pregnancy for the last 8 months. I haven't used any contraceptive methods before.And I dnt know the reason for failure.I would like to know what might be the cause?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

There are so many reasons for failure of conception- to mention a few- failed or irregular ovulation, inappropriate timing of intercourse, tubal blocks, hormonal deficiencies, anti-sperm antibodies, decreased sperm count or motility, diseases, medications and for no reason (unexplained infertility).

You should see an infertility specialist for a complete work up. It includes a physical exam, a trans-vaginal sonogram, complete hormonal profile, glucose tolerance test, assessment of the thyroid status, DHEAS levels, measurement of AMH, tubal patency tests and in your case test for involvement of the genital tract with an endometrial biopsy, hysterosalpingogram and pap smear. Your partner should also be assessed by an XXXXXXX or a urologist.

With all these results, your doctor will work up a plan for you to follow.

Hope I have answered your query. Please get back if you need further clarifications. I will be ready to help.