Trying to conceive. Pelvic scan showed Large posterior wall intramural fibroid. Chances of conception?

Mar 2016

Hi..I am TTC for 8 months now. Had an pelvic scan and was diagnosed with Large posterior wall intramural fibroid measuring 5.2 * 4.5 cm

What are the chances of my conception?

Is surgery necessary?

Is pregnancy possible after surgery?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly attach recent reports.

Detailed Answer:

Kindly, upload or attach all recent reports if possible. On the basis of that, I can assist you better and answer your queries with proper guideline.

Waiting for your response and reports.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Pelvic scan showed Large posterior wall intramural fibroid. Chances of conception? 25 minutes later
Attached Scan Reports
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Quite chance of pregnancy. Follow the guideline.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for attaching your reports. Followings are my comments:

1) According to ultrasound scan report, you have a medium size ( 5.2 x 4.5 cm) posterior wall intramural fibroid with bulky uterus. Other parameters are within normal range.

2) Intramural (within uterine muscle) is the most common type of uterine fibroid. Here, you have quite chance of successful conception if other fertility tests are normal. Only 2 to 3% of infertile women are unable to conceive due to uterine fibroid with submucosa or intramural variety. Periodic follow up with ultrasound scan is mandatory.

3) Surgical treatment is the last choice and it depends on failure of the medical therapy in symptomatic case after complete evaluation of other fertility test. In fact, surgery over fibroid can sometimes make the infertility problem worse by creating pelvic adhesion (scar tissue).

Myomectomy (removal of uterine fibroid) is done when no other cause is found for infertility and patient is mostly symptomatic.

Therefore, I suggest you to undergo following fertility tests before going to surgical treatment. These are as follows:

1) Husband semen analysis test.
2) Ovulation test- Serial follicular study in mid cycle to check proper ovulation.
3) Tubal patency test- by HSG (hystero salpingography) or laparoscopy.
4) Complete hormone assay including D-21 progesterone, thyroid profile, blood sugar & prolactin test.
5) Test for cervical factor- Post Coital Test (PCT), Anti-sperm antibody (ASA) etc.

You can consult with gynecologist or infertility specialist for proper guidance of the above mentioned tests.

4) If intramural fibroid is the possible cause after evaluating fertility test, then surgical treatment (myomectomy) can be done and size should be shrunken prior to surgery by drug therapy. Following myomectomy, rate of pregnancy is about 40-60%.

In the mean time, you would follow the basic steps of successful conception:

1) Do unprotected sex close to ovulation day or fertile days. Use ovulation prediction kit (LH kit) in the middle of each cycle. It is available in market and quite helpful in predicting ovulation day.

2) You must take a healthy balanced diet with more fresh fruits and vegetables. Low carbohydrate diet is preferable. Take vitamin-E and folic acid supplements for 3 months in preconception period and there after.

3) Do light exercise for physical fitness and avoid mental stress completely by regular meditation/ yoga. Maintain a healthy life style.

Hope, I have guided you with my experience and answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Pelvic scan showed Large posterior wall intramural fibroid. Chances of conception? 36 hours later

Thanks for the Details.
I have attached the Details of the Blood Tests. Can you confirm if any specifc deficiency and also let me know what other tests from your stated tests are pending

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Calcium level is slightly low. Tests are pending.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

I have reviewed your all attached reports except FSH & LH report which can't be opened.

1) Your blood reports are quite good and within normal range except CALCIUM which is slightly lower than normal value. You can take calcium supplement with your diet to combat its deficiency.

2) All above tests are pending which I have mentioned in my previous text. These are basic fertility tests for both you and your husband.

Hope, I have guided you. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

You may contact with me directly after undergoing above mentioned tests or for better suggestion/ guideline. Just post your query in the following link.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen