Trying to conceive. On letrozole. Husband's sperm analysis done and on fertisure. Chances of getting pregnant?

Infertility Specialist
Hello doctor,
I am 27yrs old and married for 2 and half years trying to conceive. My husband has sperm count of 6million and low motility(not sure on the exact number for motility). He was diagnosed for varicocele and varicolectomy was done in June2012. After which the infertility specialist doc advised me to take clomid for nearly 5 cycles and one cycle of IUI was done, but still no success was seen. Again I met another gynaec and she had advised me to take Letrozole from 3-7days of my cycle. She has advised Fertisure for my husband. Please let me know if there are any chances on conception in my case. Also please advise some natural foods for my husband that help in improving sperm and motility for him. Also both the doctors whom I met said that I perfectly normal and there are no issues in my fertility. My period cycles are 28-30 cycle. Please let me know if I need to provide any further information.

Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 19 minutes later
Well I can definitely find a malefactor infertility on your case.
But I would like to know whether you have done any HSG or DHL (diagnostic hysterolaparoscopy).
If you have not done one , please go for a DHL to evaluate the tubes , the uterine cavity and the pelvis.
If the reports are normal, then please proceed for a IUI for few more cycles , say 3 to 4 cycles, after which you can resort to a IVF(considering the male factor infertilty).
As regards your husband, please advise him to stop smoking and alcohol, if at all he is taking these, since these are definite causes of bad sperm quality.
He can very well continue Fertisure M.He can take plenty of fruits and vegetables as these are natural sources of antioxidants that improve sperm quality.
I think I have answered your query.
take care,
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. On letrozole. Husband's sperm analysis done and on fertisure. Chances of getting pregnant? 2 hours later
Hello Dr.Biswajit,

Thanks for responding to my query.
Yes, DHL was done on July2012 and my tubes are normal. Reports are normal for me.
My husband does not have the habit of smoking or alcohol but he is overweight. Will his weight/obesity factor affect the sperm quality. Please let me know about it.

Also as now I am taking letrozole, will that help me in conceiving naturally. Or due to my husband's fertility, do we need to go on for assisted conception methods like IUI, IVF or ICSI? Please suggest.

Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 7 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me. Well it is quite assuring that your DHL findings are normal.

Whether or not male obesity affects semen parameters is not a very well studied subject, but few recent studies do show that they affect male fertility in some way or the other. So please advice your husband to lose weight.

Letrozole is an ovulation inducing drug. But I can't exactly say it will help as semen analysis I find the semen analysis of your husband a little below normal findings - perhaps which could be reason for reduced fertility.

I will advice you to go for assisted conception such as IUI for 5 to 6 cycles and if it doesn't help IVF-ICSI will be a good option.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if there are other concerns.

Good luck and have patience.