Trying to conceive. Noticed spotting after ovulation. Is that sign of implantation? What is going on?

I am 28 year old female. Me and my husband have been trying to conceive for the last two months. I had my ovulation on 9th March and we tried to conceive then. On 19th March, 10 days later, i noticed spotting brown in colour. At first i thought it was my normal period, but they were scant brown in colour and were not seen later in the night or the next day. On 22nd, i had bleeding which was the normal day of my periods and it feels like normal period only.
I am slightly confused. I have read that spotting is a sign of implantation bleeding which could mean a sign of pregnancy. But now since i have bleeding and think my period, i dont understand why the spotting happened.
Can you please guide.

regards XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
Mild spotting two days prior to normal cycle bleeding might be due to mild old blood that was there in the uterine cavity. A brown colored bleeding is indicative of an old bleeding.
There is nothing worrisome as a single such episode is not suggestive of any pathology. Since your periods started around their expected date, the pregnancy is ruled out.
It is best to detect the time of ovulation using a LH surge kit and after getting a positive test start having unprotected intercourse to have a successful conception.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.