Trying to conceive. Noticed brown discharge after sex. What are the complications?

I am trying to concieve and have irregular periods from 30 days to 55 days I have also been having accupunture to correct this for the past 2 months. My last 2 periods have lasted nearly 2 weeks and now my period finished 7 days ago I have got brown dischArge after sex. I have had a scan of my womb and ovaries and a colposcopy. All clear.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Oligomenorrhoea is a period that is infrequent. It can have many causes, one of the main causes is PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), this can actually be diagnosed with normal ovaries.The diagnostic criteria according to a European and American medical society are at least 2 of the following:
(1) oligomenorrhoea (infrequent periods) or amenorrhoea (no periods)
(2)evidence of androgen excess (this would be things like acne, hair growth on the face, chest or abdomen)
(3)polycystic ovaries
It is diagonosed by blood tests and ultrasound( which you already had).

The blood test are to check for other causes of irregular periods such as high levels of thyroid hormone, high levels of a hormone called prolactin which is secreted in the brain, high levels of cortisol which is a steroid hormone, abnormal levels of hormones secreted by a gland called the adrenal gland that can also affect reproduction.
Androgen levels (the male hormone, normally found in small amounts in the female- check to see if levels normal), levels of the female hormones FSH and LH.

In addition to abnormal levels of the above hormones the other causes of an irregular period would be stress (either psychological or physical), inadequate nutritional status, excess physical activity as in an athlete.

In terms of the brownish discharge, this is most likely residual blood from your period.

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions