Trying to conceive. Missing periods. Home pregnancy test showed negative. Can I be pregnant?

I am 24 year old, from India but staying in UK.
Myself and my Husband are trying for a baby from past 8 months. We got everything tested ( Semen Analysis for my husband, Scanning for me, thyroid test ) everything seems to be normal,
I am delayed by almost 21 days in my periods , today being my 48th day. My periods are always regular( around 28 days ) my HPT was negative twice, I used Velocit strips.
Can I be pregnant ?
Can the HCG levels be low in my urine ?
I tested today morning ( 48th day ) but it was fat negative.
Pls advice me, what I should be doing.

Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 35 minutes later

Sometimes if the conception is delayed, urine pregnancy test in initial phase of pregnancy may be negative. In my opinion, you should have blood test of beta HCG levels. You should contact early pregnancy units for needful. In addition, if this test is negative then you may require hormonal evaluation and ultrasound of pelvis to find out the cause of delayed period. Meanwhile start taking folic acid if not taking as you are planning for pregnancy.

Best wishes
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Missing periods. Home pregnancy test showed negative. Can I be pregnant? 50 minutes later
Thanks a lot Doctor, for your kind reply.

So you mean to say that Blood test can still yield positive results ?

I am taking Folic acid from past 4 months I have never had irregular periods from 17 years, I am bit worried about the negative results in HPT.

Doctor, as I said I am using Velocit strips, Does Velocit look out for more HCG Harmon es ? Should I try something different ?
To add to that, I have been advised to take Meprate by a gynecologist.

Is it safe to take this ? If I happen to be pregnant will it affect the baby ?

Pls let me know, if it is safe to take this tablets
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 14 hours later

Thanks for following up.

In my opinion, you should have blood hCG test to confirm the presence or absence of pregnancy. If the test is negative then take meprate.

Meprate is a progesterone hormone component used to bring menses back. In ideal situation, pregnant women should avoid it.

Hope it is clear to you. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Best wishes