Trying to conceive. Missing periods. HPT negative. Started vomiting. What is going on?

I am 24 years female, basically from India but now in UK from past 18 months.

I am 24 year old and got married 2 years ago, myself and my husband are trying for a baby from past 1 year ( November 2011).

I have not had my periods from 71 days, today is being my 72nd day. ( Aug 20th 2012 was my last period). we had been to India on 7th Sep 2012 and stayed there for 23 days before returning to UK on 30th Sep 2012. I took a normal examination in India and found that, I do not have any Thyroid problems or Harmonal problems. Even a Semen analysis was done to my husband and everything was found to be normal ( Normo spermia)

I have taken 5 HPT's so far, and all have been negative. Consulted a doctor here in UK, they just tell me to wait until my period arrives.

Now from past 7-8 days I have vomiting in the morning and tiredness entire day, Doctors in UK are not willing to conduct a blood test to know the exact result.

Recently I contacted a Gynec in India, she prescribed me to take Meprate tablet, which would initiate a period. But my sixth sense is not ok with taking the tablet. I truly feel I am pregnant.

I have never ever had irregular period in my life, maximum was 32 days but now its already 72nd day.

Can I still be pregnant with negative HPT's, Should I somehow convince my doctor to do a blood test ? or just wait for my periods ?
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

No if your pregnancy tests have been negative till now, you may not be pregnant.

The only possibility can be you conceived last cycle which is too early for detection by urine test. Its difficult to predict in your case as you had an irregular cycle.

A blood test definitely comes before all tests for pregnancy.

Instead of asking for a blood test, you can go for an ultrasound abdomen and pelvis. They should not have any problem in doing your ultrasound as its your concern for having amenorrhea(no periods).
This will help you in knowing if you do not have any pelvic disease causing delayed periods. Also it will help you in confirming if you are pregnant. But ultrasound would be able to visualize pregnancy only if its more than 5 weeks (which is if i consider your last menses being 20th Aug.

If your ultrasound is normal you have the option of taking either meprate or duphaston for withdrawal bleeding.

Instead of taking meprate, you can take a safer progesterone called DUPHASTON for 5 days. If you are not pregnant, you will have your periods once you stop the duphaston tablet abruptly after 5 days.

Even if you are pregnant, duphaston is not going to harm your baby or pregnancy in any one and you will have not bleeding after stopping it.

The other and better option you have is to wait for your periods.

Since you never had a history of delayed periods, you might get your periods soon.
Incase you do not get near your next expected date of menses, you can repeat your pregnancy test and take the above mentioned medicine for periods.

Start folic acid if you are planning to conceive. It is a vitamin and advisable before and during first 3 months of pregnancy.