Trying to conceive. Missing period, started spotting. No pregnancy symptoms. What is going on?

for the last three months I been spotting 6-8days instead of a normal cycle which was 4-5days.(28day) It is so light that I can wear a pad for the whole day. Negative test for the first two months so I stopped taking a test. The dr have me down for an appointment May 8 for a pep smear. (I will be gone for 2weeks starting saturday to a training site-military) First two months had symptoms like being pregnant and now i feel nothing. I have been trying to conceive. I miss my expected ovulation date by a week this past month. first four-five days look light red-pinkish and now its brown. I never took birth control and first time trying to conceive. Just started to take prenatal vitamins within the last month.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 12 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Just to summarize:
1. You have regular 28 days cycles
2. Your cycles last longer than they have in the past, but are just spotting
3. You lack symptoms that you might attribute to pregnancy

It sounds like you are not ovulating regularly or at all. When women do not ovulate, they either have no period, or they spot unpredictably. Sometimes, this spotting is mistaken for a period. Also, women who do not ovulate seem to lack cycle related symptoms. It is good that you have an appointment because it will be a good time to discuss the issue of whether or not you are ovulating and to to discuss labs related to your thyroid. Also, if the bleeding is though to be abnormal, then an ultrasound would also be indicated.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions.
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Missing period, started spotting. No pregnancy symptoms. What is going on? 7 minutes later
ok thank you. One last question, going to the field I will be very active. From working out, missions, and more...Should I call my dr tomorrow or I will be physically fine to participate?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 minute later
I think that you are fine to participate in vigorous activity. This should not be hindered by your cycle issues. The only issue that I can see is if you have unpredictable spotting, so wearing a pad during these activities might be a good idea. I hope this helps and good luck!!