Trying to conceive. Is it safe to take this trip considering she might get pregnant?

Me and my wife have been trying for a baby for last couple of months. We want to travel next week on a flight, the time of which also coincides with her date for her start of her periods when we could know whether she is pregnant or not.
My question is it safe to take this trip considering she might get pregnant and she will have to take two flight takes offs and landings.

Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later
The pregnancy can be confirmed by a urine pregnancy test only after 1 week after she misses her period. For this, a urine pregnancy kit can be purchased from the pharmacy and an early morning urine sample should be be used for this.
If you want to get it confirmed earlier, get a serum beta hCG done 2 days before she misses her period. A level >10 mIU/ml is suggestive of pregnancy.
Air travel is generally safe provided your doctor approves. She should not be having any other medical problem or spotting, abdominal pain etc. If your wife is pregnant, several precautions need to be taken while travelling:
a.     Get her an aisle seat
b.     The seat belt needs to be tied around the navel.
c.     Walk around frequently
d.     She should keep an air sickness bag handy if she has a problem
e.     Drink a lot of water
f.     She should be carrying some snacks
g.     Wear loose, comfortable clothing.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Wish you good health.
Dr Sourav Ganguly