Trying to conceive. Infertility test came normal, having problem in ovary. Should go for IVF?

Infertility Specialist
Hi, my sister is of 36 years old and they are planning for kids. She has gone for some infertility tests and results are normal. Her right ovary is not so good but left is good it seems. She has also gone for follicualr study on Day 3 and Day 12 and the results are normal for that.

Here are the report details.FSH- 6.2 , LH - 3.2 , TSH - 0.4, PRL - 6.78, AHM (first time - 0.3) as it is abnormal suggested for repeat of this test and got it as 3.66( repeat after 2 months).
Day 12 follicular study - Lt- ovary 21 * 17, left ovary AFC- 6 to 7, endometrium 7 mm. Hormonal levels - triple morker. right ovary AFC - 3.

Her husband has gone for hormone tests and he has thyroid( TSH - 9.7) problem. He started is taking homeo medicines since 1 week.

Infertility doctor whom my sister consulted told her that she has very less time for conceiving and they should go for IVF. Will there be any medicines for her so that she can wait for some more time till her husband's thyroid problem is cured and sperm count increases. As of now his sperm count is very less(1% normal morphology and 99 % abnormal morphology, mobility - 50%, sperm concentration - 1.6million/ml)

Kindly advise if she has to take any medicines so that she can wait for some time till her husband's sperm count comes to normal.

Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later

I read your query and understand your concerns. Following are my comments / suggestions:

1) Infertility doctor is right in saying there is not much time left and she has to start treatment as early as possible

2) There are no medicines to improve her egg count / AFC. Hence no need to try any medicines for her.

3) Her husband's counts really does not matter much as ICSI (Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection ) is a technique in which few sperms are needed to be picked up for injecting into eggs. Hence I suggest she start her treatment as soon as possible.

I also suggest her husband to start allopathic medicines for thyroid which gives quicker correction & results.

I hope I answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow-up queries you have.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility specialist
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Infertility test came normal, having problem in ovary. Should go for IVF? 18 hours later
Thanks for the suggestions doctor.

Actually they want to try with IUI so waiting for sperm count to become normal. curious to know if she can maintain the same AFC for some more time with medicines. Though that can't be increased with medicines but any hope for maintaining same egg count with medicines and good diet.

I am keen to know more details about the cost of ICSI and IVF in hyderabad.
1) Is there a posiibility to try with IVF(instead of ICSI as it is more artificial) with the reports they have.
2) What would be the success rate for both.
3) How many times they can repeat the process with out any risks of health.
4) If they repeat, will each cycle cost the same amount.

And also i have googled and found some reviews on test tube baby, saying there are more chances that the baby will be less intelligent compared to naturally born babies. Is it true?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 26 minutes later
I understand your concerns.
Following are replies to your current query :
1) It is not possible to maintain same egg count. After 35 years of age eggs decrease rapidly in quantity & quality. No medicines can help this .
2) IVF costs between 1.5 to 2 lakh rupees depending on IVF centre.
3) Success rates vary between 30 to 60 percent in this age group.
4) In this case ICSI is more beneficial with this sperm count & motility. ICSI is equally safe as IVF hence do not worry.
5)There is no concrete evidence about low intelligence in IVF babies. Its not yet proven. Hence don't worry. 6) Repeat treatment will cost same amount.
7) They can do any number of cycles they want. No harm.
I hope I answered your query. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol