Trying to conceive. History of miscarriage. On folic acid. Getting delayed periods. Should I be concerned?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi..
I have been trying to conceive since last 5-6 months and haven't gotten pregnant yet. My periods were normally regular 27-28 day cycle. But once we started trying for a baby, I have noticed that my periods are getting delayed. I ovulate regularly by the 14th or 15th day(tested using clearblue fertility monitor). We have sex on alternate days from 8th to 22nd day of the cycle. Is there anything to be concerned about.? I've been taking folic acid since last 3 years(recently started taking Pregnacare conception tablets).

I had a miscarriage (at 8th week) last year.

Kindly help.

Regards XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 45 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

As you are having unprotected intercourse around the time of ovulation the chances of pregnancy should be high.
But as you are not able to conceive even after 5 to 6 months better to get investigated once.
Consult gynecologist and undergo ultrasound examination to rule out any possibility of poly cystic ovary disease which can cause delayed periods.
Also if she recommends better to go for hormonal evaluation once.
Let your husband undergo semen analysis once to rule out any abnormality.
With this primary workup possibly the cause for your problem can be made out.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. History of miscarriage. On folic acid. Getting delayed periods. Should I be concerned? 8 minutes later
Hi Dr Gouri

I am currently in UK and here they will carry out investigations only if it's been one year. Recently, I made a call to the GP, she asked to keep trying and said if still not getting pregnant within an year, they will do some tests. Moreover, my periods are not getting delayed for long, only 2-3 days difference. After my miscarriage, did an ultrasound, there was no PCOD then. I'm 5.4" and 62 kgs. Do I have to reduce my weight more?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
Two to three days delay in the onset of periods can be taken as normal.
As you didn't have PCOD in previous scan and having regular periods the possibility of new onset is less.
As you conceived once that rules out the possibility of any structural abnormalities.
So continue trying possibly this time you will succeed.
This time track the ovulatory period and plan intercourse around that time.
Better to maintain abstinence for 2 to 3 days before that period which will increase the quantity and quality of spermatozoa.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. History of miscarriage. On folic acid. Getting delayed periods. Should I be concerned? 41 hours later
Hi

I have been tracking the ovulation since last 3-4 months and trying around that time. Will abstain for 2-3 days before that and try this time. Since my ovulation is taking place regularly, would there be any chance of hormonal imbalance? Also, during my first pregnancy, I had constant pain in my lower abdomen/pelvic region like I was going to have my periods. I have the same pain nowadays after ovulation until I get my periods. Also I get severe lower back pain. Another thing I would like to ask is, whether there is any way we can prevent he semen spillage after intercourse. We have tried everything from keeping a pillow under to using tampons, nothing worked.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 7 hours later

As you are having regular ovulatory cycles the chance of hormonal imbalance is less.
As a precautionary measure you can go for progesterone supplementation in the second half of the cycle with your doctor's advice, which will help in implantation and in maintenance of pregnancy.
According to your description the pain you are having can be due to pelvic inflammatory disease or endometriosis etc. This can be identified by physical examination and ultrasound.
Some amount excess semen can spill after the ejaculation, usually that will not affect the fertility.