Trying to conceive. Having unprotected sex. Have mild pcos. Chances of getting pregnant?

Infertility Specialist
Hello doctor,

I am 32 years old fit and healthy female married for 4 years now. I have been trying to conceive since this XXXXXX But since the time we started having unprotected sex my periods have been irregular. I had never used any birth control pill before just condoms. my cycle has always been very regular averaging 26 days. But in XXXXXX my periods came just after 23 days, I didn't think much of it since 2 or 3 days up and down does happen. Surprisingly it was a bit heavy as well. Again in July it came after23 days and in August took 32 days but came after 27 days in sep. but I started bleeding again on 16 sep which was meant to be my 13th day. I went to see the doc and shedid aTVS on me said its not mid cycle bleeding but I am menstruating and also I have mild PCOS. She asked me to take clomid 50 mg from third day of my cycle as she said I am not ovulating properly and asked me to do blood test which included thyroid test. My hypothyroid came marginally high ( normal limit was 5.5 and mine came 7.4) she immediately wrote down a prescription which I was not happy about. I did ask her shouldn't I repeat my complete thyroid test after few weeks since this is a lifetime medicine and also I have no symptoms. She casually dismissed my claim andtoldmetocome back fora follicular study. I didn't start the thyroid medicine since I am already very slim. I am 5.3 and weigh 51 kg with no symptoms of hypo thyroid or pcos. I have clear skin and I am very hairless.
I did go back to her for follicular study she toldme my et triple line was10.7mm and my right ovary 26x24 mm. She asked me to take HCG injection of 7500 u which I did as she said the egg is quite mature and won't release by itself and just form a cyst. All this happened yesterday 28th of sept and she asked metro take Duphaston 10 mg twice a day starting from tomorrow (30th sep). It's some progestrone hormonal tab. I am pretty confused and wondering how can she know my body is not making all this hormones naturally without doing any test. I really don't know whether to take the medicine or no. Also I read taking clomid may result in multiple pregnancies which she didnt warn me about and I am quite upset about that.
Please advice.

Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 1 hour later
thank you for writing in to HCM

1.since your cycles are a little disturbed, the suspicion of thyroid dysfunction is thought by your physician. Though you clinically have no symptoms of hypothyroidism - this may be a sub - clinical hypothyroid state.
I do agree with you that a whole thyroid profile should be done, but not waiting for too long, since the TSH is much higher

2.PCO - is to be confirmed by various criteria and other tests. Only scan is not confirmatory of the condition.

3. As the consultant has seen a large follicle in one ovary, about 25mm and the endometrium is showing a triple line, she gave you the injection to release the egg in the follicle. If however you do not wish to get a stimulation done , please discuss with your consultant and try to see if she monitors your normal cycle.

4. Clomid, duphastan are drugs used to treat couples who wish to get pregnant. if you do not wish to take them, you can mention it to your treating physician too

Wish you the very best
hope to have answered your query

Dr Nandita A Thakkar
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Having unprotected sex. Have mild pcos. Chances of getting pregnant? 10 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your reply. But you didn't address few of my concerns.

Is taking Duphaston safe? Will not taking it have some side effect if I get pregnant this cycle? Also what are the chances of multiple pregnancy? I am quite confused as I don't trust the doctor completely and in two minds since I followed her advice on two occasions about taking clomid and inducing ovulation by taking hcg injection. So do I necessarily have to take Duphaston or can I wait and watch if I get pregnant?

As I told you my cycle went disruptive only when we started to try for kids. I read somewhere it can go up and down if you stress over pregnancy too much and I am stressing and thinking about it too much. I tried calming down but I have a little anxious personality and I tend to obsess over things. Can that have resulted in my thyroid going high? Some one told me its only marginally high and can show an elevation when you are stress.

I will anyway go and get my thyroid checked in a weeks time.

Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 2 hours later
Hello again,

1. Duphaston is safe and given for pregnancy support all over the world. It was prescribed to you, incase you become pregnant it will support the pregnancy.
2. There is no side effect if you do not take it.
3. In this cycle you have only one follicle so the chance of multiple pregnancy is low. If there is a family history of twins the chances are higher.
4. Stress cannot disrupt thyroid so much. Prolactin harmon will also get elevated if there is stress.

Since you already have answers about stress and you do understand that it affects you its best for you to relax as much as possible for better results.

Wish you all the best.
Dr.Nandita Thakkar