Trying to conceive. Having irregular period. Suggested to take glucophage. Will this help in getting pregnant?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Dear Doctor,
I've been waiting 1,5 years to get pregnant. And if i get pregnant, it would be my 2nd pregnancy.

I have irregular menstrual period, and my cycle is not stable. Could be around 30 to 35 days.

Last time my Doctor give me a "Glucophag" to consume. But i'm not sure if it's reallybcan work to help me to get pregnant.

Would you please give me advice and information about Glucophag medicine and how much should i take before/after meal?
Is Glucophag really can help me to get pregnant?

Thank you for your kind answer

Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 36 minutes later
Hi, the tablet contains metformin which is generally given to patients who are obese or have polycystic ovary. Kindly give me details about your height, weight, any investigation done in past which will help me in identifying real problems. Waiting for your reply. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Having irregular period. Suggested to take glucophage. Will this help in getting pregnant? 2 hours later
Dear Doctor,

My height is about 165cm, and weight 70kg. I gain alot because of i consume duphaston and Gonal F injection on my last program with my Doctor here.

And that's why i was wondering why other doctor try to give me Glucophag prescription. For your information, that last couple of months, both my egg are look small and late for ovulation , and sometimes i cannot notice that i already ovulate or not.

thank you so much Dr. XXXXXXX ..

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later

Thanks for more information.

You are overweight and hence you need to reduce weight which will improve your chances of pregnancy.

Small egg and late ovulation suggests polycystic ovaries and thats the reason you have been prescribed metformin.

I believe weight loss might improve your condition along with metformin.

Keep track of your ovulation by doing follicular growth scan ( FGS ). which can predict exact day of ovulation and best time to have intercourse.

Get back to me if any more clarifications.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Having irregular period. Suggested to take glucophage. Will this help in getting pregnant? 1 hour later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Koregol,

Thank you for your reply earlier..
When would be the right time to start this Glucophag medication (the 1st day of menstruation?)

What would be the accurate dosage for me?

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 hours later
Hi, you can start the medicine anytime. No relation with periods. Accurate dosage is better prescribed by doctor you are consulting as they you and your ovaries, health better. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol