Trying to conceive. Have pcod. Is it safe to take medicine every time to get period?

Mar 2013
Hi Dr. I am 32 yrs old trying to conceive since 8-9 months. But not able to. I have PCOD prob. from the first day of my period. I never got regular period. I get my period sometimes in 3 months delay and sometimes 2 months. No proper cycle

Now situation is like Every month i have to take 5 days medicine to get my period. Because if i am not taking the medcn i am not getting my period naturally even after 2-3 months.

My question is, is it safe to take medicine every time to get my period. Will it cause any side effect as i am desperately trying to conceive.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 34 minutes later
It is safe to take medicines to have your period.
However, PCOD is a condition where there is a hormonal imbalance, wherein women have irregular, delayed or scanty periods, and difficulties in ovulation and hence in conception.
You need to consult a proper Infertility Specialist for your condition, as you are already 32, and might need help in conceiving.
You should get detailed evaluation for assessing the severity of PCOD.
Basic hormonal evaluation like Day 2 FSH, LH, adrenal hormonal profile, lipid profile, thyroid hormonal profile, fasting serum insulin, serum prolactin etc. should be done.
Baseline transvaginal ultrasound on day 2 of period for assessing the uterus and ovaries should be done.
Also, your blood sugars should be tested as PCOD often is associated with glucose intolerance.

You might require the aid of ovulation inducing medications like clomiphene to assist in ovulation and conception.
Metformin is often given to regulate cycles.
Weight loss, and exercise are the key factors to remedy PCOD.

Take care, and feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Have pcod. Is it safe to take medicine every time to get period? 44 hours later
Hi Dr,
Thanks for your reply. I have done below tests so far. here are the detail.

Ultrasound (18th sept 2012)- Shows multiple small follicles(5-7mm) in the prerirhery with central echogenic stroma.

FSH (3rd oct 2012)- 5.07 mIU/ml
LH (3rd oct 2012)- 6.10 mIU/ml
PROLACTIC(3rd oct 2012)- 24.86 ng/ml, after having medicine(T.caberlin) did test again
now PROLACTIN (17TH NOV 2012)- 14.88 ng/ml

Testosterone Total (3rd oct 2012) - 0.64 ng/ml

Thyroid (17th sept 2012)
T3 - 1.13 nmol/l
T4- 81.29 nmol/l
TSH- 2.29 uiUml

I am having glycomat 500 since Oct 2012 and still continuing.
But still i am not getting my period normal. I take duphaston for 5 days , if i dont get my period even after 2-3 months.

Could you please suggest, how can i get my period naturally without any medicine and how to know when i am ovulating as i dont have regular cycle..

What is the success rate of ovulation inducing medications. Is is helpful for PCOD patient?

How many days it will take to conceive with ovulation inducing medications.

Is there any natural food which will help hormonal balance.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Please get your blood sugars tested also.
There is no method naturally as such to have normal periods if you are having PCOD.
As I said, sometimes inspite of medications, patients fail to have regular cycles.
For checking ovulation with irregular cycles, you can use ovulation detection kits or follicular monitoring with ultrasound.
If ovulation difficulty is documented , then ovulation inducing agents are useful in PCOD patients. Almost 80% of patients ovulate with clomiphene ,an ovulation inducing agent.
One cannot predict within how many days you will conceive, as various factors have to be taken into consideration, such as response to clomiphene, severity of PCOD, Partners semen analysis and potency of your Fallopian tubes.
There are no natural methods to help hormonal balance which are scientifically proven.