Trying to conceive. Have irregular periods. Suggest?

i am 27 years old female weighing 57 kg i have irreular periods
following are the dates
17 may then 8 XXXXXXX then 1 july
this time my periods ended today i.e 12 july
i m onborad with my husband and trying to concieve please help
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 29 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I have a couple of questions for you first:
1. Were your cycles irregular before May, or is this a new problem?
2. Are you doing anything to track whether or not you are ovulating?
3. How long have you been trying to get pregnant?

Thank you.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Have irregular periods. Suggest? 2 hours later
hello doctor
yes my periods were irregular before may also
but i didnot any attention
2 years back i was treated with polycystic overies
that time my docter recommended metfortin may be my spelling of medicine are wrong
i was married dec 2011
after marriage they again become irregular
now we trying to concieve form the days 4 months
but we never take any precautions from the beginnig but now we are seriously trying
please help
i m diong nothing to trck ovulation
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Thank you for the followup information!

Based on what you are describing, you do not ovulate regularly. This is typical of patients with PCOS. This is a condition associated with insulin resistance, elevated androgen hormone levels, and irregular cycles. Patients often come to the doctor with abnormal bleeding, infertility, and coarse hair growth on their face and belly. If you perform an ultrasound, the ovaries have a polycystic appearance because of the lack of ovulation.

Typically, the strategy for someone like you would be:
1. Make sure there is not some other cause of non-ovulation - you testing for thyroid disease, diabetes, and prolactin levels
2. Most women with PCOS benefit from a medication called Clomid + metformin for induction of ovulation
3. Finally, you can buy an over-the-counter kit for tracking ovulation - it is a simple urine test.

Finally, it is not unusual for couples to take up to a year to conceive. So the fact that you have been trying for only 4 months is more reassuring than it is discouraging.

Let me know if this helps!
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Have irregular periods. Suggest? 27 minutes later
Thnks doc for ur reply.

What dosage of above said medicine Clomid + metformin to be taken and for how much time .
Are there any chances of conceiving while I am on above said medication. ?
A friend of mine told me bout the drug called regesterone . How safe is that drug if i take it and does that drug suit my condition .

My reference number is HCME598 .
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Talk with your doctor, but the typical doses would be:

1. Clomid 50 mg per day for 5 days, on cycle days 5-9
2. Metformin 500mg twice daily

These are considered safe medications while attempting pregnancy. Once you are pregnant, your doctor will likely have you stop the metformin. The other medication that you are mentioning would not be appropriate while you are trying to get pregnant.
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Have irregular periods. Suggest? 7 hours later
hello docter
please explain me what is meant by on cycle days 5-9
should the above mention medicine is be taken during periods also
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 hours later
If you count the first day of your period (of normal flow) as cycle day #1, then you would take the clomid starting on the evening of cycle day #5. You would take it the same time every night for 5 days - i.e. cycle days 5-9.

You would start this medication on day 5 even if your period had not ended.

I hope that this answers your questions.
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Have irregular periods. Suggest? 28 minutes later
hello docter
is metformin is be continued in periods also
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 47 minutes later
Yes, the metformin is taken daily regardless of what day of your cycle it is - i.e. it is taken continuously. The Clomid is JUST taken on days 5-9 of your cycle.

Thank you.
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Have irregular periods. Suggest? 23 minutes later
for how much time i have to take this medicine
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 28 minutes later
Typically in patients who are trying to get pregnant, they would take the metformin until they are pregnant, and then stop. The clomid should be used for 3 cycles and if unsuccessful in getting pregnant, you should then seek the help of an infertility specialist.

Good luck!