Trying to conceive. Have irregular period and noticed spotting. HPT negative. What's going on?

Mar 2016

hi. i have been experiecing for the past month red spotting, brown discharge, blood when wipe. we are trying for a baby. my periods are always irregular and always have being. just wondering what you think it may be??negative home pregnancy tests.
Thank you.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 40 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

Red spotting or brown period discharge with irregular period is commonly seen with hormonal imbalance, effect of using OCP previously or old blood/ endometrial tissue and may be co-existed with stress/ anxiety, ovarian cyst, thyroid disorder, irregular diet habit, psychological factor etc.

But first of all, as you are trying for a baby, we need to rule out implantation bleeding (common presentation with brown discharge) which occurs in early weeks of pregnancy. Here, you should undergo one blood test for beta HCG level & Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan) to exclude product of conception if any. Early home pregnancy test may give negative result.

For irregular period, you need to undergo several investigations like thyroid profile, one ultrasound scan, complete hormone assay, blood sugar & prolactin level etc.

Proper treatment depends on underlying causative factor. Therefore, I suggest you to consult with gynecologist regarding this for physical/ pelvic examination and take suggestive measures according to test reports.

Do the following things that can help you:

1) Take healthy diet and drink more water/ juice, eat fresh fruits/ vegetables.
2) Avoid salty/ spicy/ fatty food and take iron & folic acid supplements with diet.
3) Avoid stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset by yoga/ XXXXXXX breathing regularly.
4) Maintain genital hygiene & take a sound sleep with complete relaxation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Have irregular period and noticed spotting. HPT negative. What's going on? 1 hour later
I have experienced this for a month on and off so is pregnancy still a possibility?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 12 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

As you are trying for baby, you should have to rule out product of conception if any before proceeding to other investigations for irregular spotting after consultation with gynecologist.

Sometimes early pregnancy may be mistaken by above said features. Therefore, blood test for beta HCG level is needed just for confirmation.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

You can directly consult with me by visiting my profile on WWW.WWWW.WW and press the button "ask me a question".

Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.