Trying to conceive. Have fever and cough. Suggest some effective medicine

Mar 2016

This is XXXXXX. My wife is feeling feverish (cold/cough) and we are trying to conceive.

Could you please advise some medicine for fever that are safe and will not affect adversely.

Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 27 hours later

Thanks for posting your query in XXXXXXX platform.

First of all, there are several reasons of fever (high/ low grade) along with cough. We need to rule out them before prescribing any kind of medication.

Therefore, it is better to consult with your physician for complete health check up along with relevant investigations to pinpoint the diagnosis. She may need to undergo some blood test, chest x-ray (in case of continuous cough more than 7 days), urine exam, throat swab culture etc.

Safe medications are preferably used in the first trimester following confirmation of pregnancy or after 4-5 weeks (from last period date) while organogenesis of the fetus starts. Though these can be used in preconception period also.

In case of common cold & cough, the following medications can be used:

1) Safe antipyretic/ analgesic (for fever) - Paracetamol (like CROCIN), Ibuprofen etc.

2) Safe antibiotics (if needed)- amoxicillin-clavulanate (like CLAVAM), ampicillin, cephalosporin group of drugs etc.

3) In addition, other supportive medications like cough suppressant or anti allergic drugs etc may be needed.

Choice of drugs along with dose & duration of therapy can only be decided by your physician after proper examination and severity of the condition.

Take healthy diet and eat more green vegetables & fresh fruits including vitamin supplements.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen