Trying to conceive. Have a very short luteal phase. Had unprotected sex. Getting ovary twinges

I am trying to conceive but have a very short luteal phase. I had an LH surge on 1st April and had unprotected sex on 1st and 3rd April. My cycle is 25 days. Period is due on 11th. I am getting left ovary twinges and am incredibly tired - but obviously negative pregnancy tests at the moment.
Is my luteal phase long enough?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

Any luteal phase shorter than 12 days is considered insufficient to sustain a pregnancy. It needs to be supported with nutritional supplements and progesterone. Diet XXXXXXX in vitamin C, B-complex, essential fatty acids and cholesterol is helpful. Progesterone creams and suppositories are useful in maintaining the hormone level in a safe zone.

You would get a urine pregnancy positive test 3-7 days after the missed period. In the present scenario, as you suspect luteal phase defect, it would be advisable to go for a blood test for confirmation of pregnancy and then consult your doctor for the active management to help sustain if you are pregnant.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarification. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Have a very short luteal phase. Had unprotected sex. Getting ovary twinges 15 minutes later
Thanks for your reply. I conceived my son in 2009 with only a 10 day luteal phase and that wasnt a problem. I keep just getting the feeling something isnt right I bleed mid cycle and also have a cervix that bleeds after intercourse. Assuming I am not pregnant, are there any things a doctor can advise to lengthen my luteal phase?
I will wait to see if period arrives on thursday as i am never late then go to the doctors to disxuss luteal phase defect.
Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

The luteal phase can be lengthened by taking hormone supplements (progesterone). In addition, as I mentioned before diets and nutritional supplements can help in increasing the production of the natural hormone.

If you have issues with your cervix, it is ideal to go for a pap smear and a colposcopy. Mid-cycle bleed could be due to hormonal imbalance or ovulation bleed. Please make sure you report everything to your consultant when you go for a review and get proper assessment.

Hope I have made it clear. Please get back if you need further clarifications. I will be ready to help.

Wish you good health.