Trying to conceive. Have PCOD and irregular periods. Taking duphaston. Having spotting. Am I pregnant

May 2013
Hi - I have PCOD and do not get my periods regularly ever. My husband and I are trying to have a baby. I am on Duphaston 10 mg, which I take from the 20th day of my periods to get my next periods. This time, my periods were due on the 15th, but, I observed spotting from 7th onwards which continued till 12th. I did a pregnancy check at home on 11th, but, found that to be negative. What could be the reason for spotting? Is it normal? Is there any action I should be taking in this regard? Is it possible that I could be pregnant and the urine test is not showing it? What is the next course of action for me? Do you want to prescribe me any medicines?
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 48 minutes later

The possible causes for your spotting are:
-Breakthrough bleeding during usage of duphaston.
That can occur due to altering the time of intake of the tablet, missing the pill etc.
-Hormonal imbalance, may be you need higher dose of progesterone.
-Implantation bleeding, if the conception has occurred that could be implantation bleeding.

Sometimes urine pregnancy test kits may not detect the early pregnancy.
-So as the spotting stopped now, you wait for 4 to 5 days and then repeat the urine test. or
-You go for blood test for pregnancy now. If the test result comes negative that will exclude the pregnancy.
If comes positive, depending on the value you can go for required tablets with your doctor's advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.