Trying to conceive. Had spotting during ovulation. Diagnosed cervical ectropian. Will it affect my fertility?

Mar 2013
I've recently been investigated for spotting immediately before my period. Smear, Endometrial biopsy and hysteroscopy all came back clear although a cervical ectropian was noted. We are trying to conceive a 2nd child. I have had a few occurrences of spotting post sex, but yesterday had bleeding and cramps - this is around the time I should be ovulating. Do I need to worry and will this affect my fertility. (I had a very early miscarriage in October)
Posted Tue, 17 Dec 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: ECTROPION WOULD NOT AFFECT FERTILITY PER SE. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. The post coital spotting is explained by the cervical ectropion. Could you mention the amount and duration of the bleeding ? Around ovulation, as you must be aware, some amount of ovulatory spotting is again common, with cramps. It would not affect your fertility. Also, I would like to know when was the smear, biopsy and hysteroscopy done ? And since when are you facing the problem of post coital spotting ? Once again - was a pelvic ultrasound scan done ? If untreated, cervical ectropion could stay stable for years, or progress into an inflammatory lesion ( cervicits ) or even pre malignant lesion. Were you treated for the ectropion ? As long as your smear / biopsy / ultrasound are all clear - the ectropion itself would not impact your fertility. Do not worry about that. If you have been trying to conceive for more than a year , then further investigations are warranted. The basics would include 1. A semen analysis. 2. A follicular study to know if you are ovulating 3. Hormonal tests - FSH, LH, TSH, prolactin, blood sugar levels. Meanwhile, do not stress out much, as mild cervical ectropion is quite prevalent. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications. Please do write back with the further details requested. Take care.
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Had spotting during ovulation. Diagnosed cervical ectropian. Will it affect my fertility? 6 minutes later
The smear, hysteroscopy, pelvic ultrasound and endometrial biopsy were done in October-November. I've had it 3 times where it has just been a blood tinged mucus, but once (yesterday) where it was more than that - less than a period but bleeding - there is still a small amount now but hardly any on knickers. This is our 3rd cycle trying to conceive (the early miscarriage was the first - the smear and ultrasound were before it and the hysteroscopy and biopsy after) No treatment for the ectropian as the gynaecologist said if I did get pregnant it would likely recur during the pregnancy so to wait until afterwards.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi again. Ectropion IS hormone dependent, and hence common in pregnancy. No treatment is indicated, as long as the smear was clear, and there was no sign of cervicitis. As the thorough work up has been all clear, do not worry. WHat you experienced yesterday could be ovulatory spotting in conjunction with some amount of spotting due to the ectropion also. Again, be reassured, as all possible workup has been already done. Take care.