Trying to conceive. Getting irregular periods and having heartburn. Could I be pregnant?

My husband and I have been ttc for 5 months now and I really thought this could be our month. I started using OPK tests and found that I ovulated around CD 20 and 21. My cycles have been pretty regular around 29 days. On CD 24-26 I had some light spotting. Then the day of my expected period (CD29) I had brown spotting, but nothing that showed on my underwear. Later on CD 29 I had a lot of brown discharge and thought that was my period but then nothing else came. When I woke up on CD 30 there was what I thought to be regular period blood when I went to the bathroom, but as the day went on the bleeding went away and was just brown and more like spotting again. That night there was more brownish-red spotting again so I put on a pad only for it to go away again. I'm now on CD 32 (or day 2 if I count this as my period) and there was some blood this morning and now it's gone back down to spotting and if off and on red vs brown. This afternoon went back to regular period blood after going to the bathroom, but nothing shows when I wear and panty liner. Could I be pregnant or is this just an irregular period? My nipples have also been pretty sensitive for the last 5 days and I've been having heartburn. I've never had heartburn around my period. I also have had a few times where I felt very nauseous. Thank you for you help!

Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 27 minutes later
Hello, i would be happy to try and help you with your question.

So you are saying that you probably ovulated on about CD21, and now it is about 11 days later and you are later than expected for what you considered would be the start of a normal period.

I completely understand your anxiousness regarding trying to get pregnant for 6 months now. The good news is that this is completely normal, and that your chance of getting pregnant each month is about 15-20%. At the end of one year, 85% of couples are successful. So there is still plenty of time to call this all "normal".

Now back to your question. Yes, this would possibly fit with pregnancy. A test will not turn positive until about 14 days after conception (so it might still be early to tell), but it is not unusual to get what we call "implantation bleeding" right about now. I really hope that this is what this is in terms of your goals. Here is what I would recommend:

1. Go ahead and do a pregnancy test now
2. Repeat the test in one week, regardless of whether you think you got your "period" or not.
3. If you end up not pregnant, and/or your bleeding remains abnormal, don't hesitate to visit your OB/GYN to discuss where you are in your attempt to get pregnant and ask about an ultrasound to evaluate this bleeding.

I wish you the best of luck. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions!! - DR XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Getting irregular periods and having heartburn. Could I be pregnant? 7 minutes later
Dr. Raichle,

Thank you very much for getting back with me. Your information really helps a lot.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 13 hours later
You are very welcome. Please come back any time and you may direct questions to me if you like! I wish you the best of luck. Please leave feedback if you have time!