Trying to conceive. Experiencing cramps, nausea, swollen breast. HPT negative. Pregnancy symptoms?

Hi, my husband and I have been TTC. I am now on day 28 of a typical 26-29 day cycle. I have had cramping ( more stomach area rather than lower like i normally experience with PMS ) and mild nausea for the past 2 weeks ( vomited 1 time about 6DPO). The past 2 days cramping has all but disappeared and my usual PMS symptoms have not appeared, swollen breasts and cramping ?.. However I am experiencing what feels like swollen lymph nodes in my groin & some breast pain but more under my arms than generalised swelling like normal PMS.
Pregnancy test day 28 was negative.
Could this be a sign of pregnancy and just not enough HCG to get a positive ?
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

The signs and symptoms you present are actually more like Premenstrual Syndrome. A history of unprotected sex during your fertile period is an important factor which must be considered.

Lymph node swelling actually has no relationship with pregnancy. The actual cause of the lymph node enlargement needs to be searched for. This could be due to a trivial viral infection, a bacterial infection, other signs of local inflammation - needs to be considered first. Depending on the duration of this swelling, specific tests and procedures could be carried out to know its main cause and characteristics.

It's not unusual in some women to actually have either delayed periods or missed periods. However, in a woman of reproductive age with notion of sexual activity, pregnancy must always be formally excluded before any other diagnostic possibilities be considered. Formally, a Beta HCG test becomes positive with the normal tests used about 7 to 9 days after implantation. I suggest a blood beta HCG test, which is more sensitive, specific and reliable; be preferably done in a weeks time to check and be sure it's not a pregnancy.

You might need to consult your family physician for an evaluation of the swollen lymph nodes.

Do not hesitate asking any further questions if need be.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.