Trying to conceive. Done with ultrasound scan. Will I conceive naturally according to the reports?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Hi , I have been trying to conceive for the past 6 months. I am 37 years of age and overweight. My Doctor sent me for an ultrasound scan and is quite happy that I should conceive naturally but I am worried to death that something is wrong. I will type what the report says:

US Pelvis transabdominal & transvaginal

Poor quality image with limited resolution due to patient body habitus.

The uterus appears normal in size and echotexture with an endometrial thickness of 6.4mm LMP - day 27.

The right ovary has a volume of 10cc, the left ovary has a volume of 11cc. Both ovaries contain numerous small follicles. PCO cannot be excluded, suggest correlation with clinical biochemistry. No free fluid seen.

Do you see that I should be able to conceive naturally with the above report? What should my endometrial thickness be and my ovary volume?

FSH and LH was normal
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 36 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Your ultrasound report appears fine.
For conception to occur three things are required: normal semen analysis, patent tubes & regular ovulation along with adequate ovarian reserve.
From your ultrasound report, ovarian reserve appears to be good, if you have regular cycles of 25-35days you need not worry about ovulation.
For the remaining two, you need tubal patency test like HSG OR SSG, & your partner needs to do semen analysis(if not already done).
If all three are normal, there is around 85% chance of natural conception in 12 months.
You can wait for few more months OR proceed with the two tests depending on the level of anxiety. But as female fertility declines after the age of 37(though less likely in your case due to good ovarian reserve), its advisable to get the tests done.
Regarding endometrium, it appears fine.

Hope I have not confused you.
Let me know if you have other concerns.

Regards.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Done with ultrasound scan. Will I conceive naturally according to the reports? 12 minutes later
So you really do not think I need to worry and should calm down and keep trying? How regular should me and my husband be together? His semen analysis is fine. I have never had any gynae problems so tubes etc should be fine I have no pain or anything at all. what is hsg or ssg? Should i ask my GP for this or wait until christmas and see what happens?

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 13 minutes later
Welcome back.
HSG is hysterosalpingogram & SSG is sonosalpingogram.
In HSG a XXXXXXX is injected into uterus & its flow through tubes is seen under X XXXXXXX guidence. In SSG saline is injected & flow seen by ultrasound.

Both tests are done to check tubal patency.

As IUI told, as your ovarian reserve appears to be good (though your age is 37), you can wait for few months.(may be upto christmas).

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know If you've other concerns, if not you can close the discussion & rate the answer.

Wish you good health

Regards.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Done with ultrasound scan. Will I conceive naturally according to the reports? 7 minutes later
How do we no I have good ovary reserve? Do you think I need not panic and things will happen naturally. I really stressed about this but my own doctor doesnt seem to think I should have a oroblem xx

Welcome back.
Your ultrasound report showing ovarian volume of 10 ml & multiple small follicles indicate good ovarian reserve, so don't worry about that.
Regarding obesity, it is known to reduce fertility. So you can try to reduce weight by healthy diet & exercise, if possible. Weight reduction will improve chance of natural conception.

Regards.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Done with ultrasound scan. Will I conceive naturally according to the reports? 1 hour later
My doctor does say I have polycystic ovaries but he says he isn't concerned about my fertility. Should I have trust and faith in my doctor that I should conceive naturally

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 9 minutes later
Women with polycystic ovaries have an advantage, that their ovarian reserve is maintained even in late reproductive age(late 30's).,
So if your menstrual cycles are regular, you have good chance of natural conception. If cyales irregular, still you have good chance with minimum medicines for ovulation induction. So anyway you have good chance of natural conception & you can believe your doctor.

Wish you good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Done with ultrasound scan. Will I conceive naturally according to the reports? 29 hours later
If husband doesnt want fertility testing can I still be tested to make sure I do ovulate? If I have regular 28/29 day cycles would you think I ovulate? I have bought a clearblue fertility monitor and this shows ovulation but the ovulation predictor kits never show ovulation so I a little confused. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 8 hours later
Welcome back.

If your cycles are of 28-29 days, there is 99% chance that you might be ovulating normally.

Sometimes ovulation predictor kits may fail to detect ovulation, either due to wrong timing or low level of LH surge (ovulation kits detect LH surge). Also occasional cycle can be anovulatory.

Best way to be sure about ovulation is to do blood progesterone levels on 21/22nd day of your cycle. (Day 1 is the day of starting menses). If you can do that, you will be 100% sure about ovulation, although it won't help you in timing intercourse around ovulation.

General advice for conception is to have intercourse at least on alternate days (if daily is not possible) between 8th & 18th day of your cycle.

Since your husbands semen analysis is normal I am not worried for now.

Let me know if you have other concerns.

Regards.