Trying to conceive. Blood test TSH-7.22, t3 and t4 normal. Will it be safe to conceive in this cycle?

Last month on sep 17th my blood test revealed that my TSH was 7.49. I decided to wait for few days and repeat the whole thyroid function test including the antibodies. I did my blood test on 4th October again and my TSH came at 7.22 and my t3 and t4 were normal. But my anti globulin came at 344 when the normal range is only uptill 115. I am planning to conceive and have been actively trying from past 3 months. I have no symptoms of hypothyroid till now. I am very slim and fit and run 5 km 5 times a week. I may be pregnant this cycle so wanted to know that will I have to starttakingmedicine ASAP. If I am already pregnant will this harm my baby? My periods are due on 16 th of this month.

Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 hours later
The high levels of TSH with normal T3 and T4 levels can be due to subclinical hypothyroidism which is a mild form of hypothyroidism that has no apparent symptoms. Investigations show high levels of TSH and normal free T4 levels and hence it is advisable to initiate treatment in such cases also.
During the first trimester, the fetus depends on the mother’s supply of thyroid hormone but after 10-12 weeks it starts producing its own thyroid hormone.
Thus, it is advisable to start the treatment as soon as possible as this can cause a fetal growth retardation.
Since your periods are due on 16th of this month, if you have already conceived then you must consult your endocrinologist to avoid any fetal problems.
Also get the tests repeated every 6-8 weeks to keep an eye on the levels and hence adjust the dose accordingly.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Blood test TSH-7.22, t3 and t4 normal. Will it be safe to conceive in this cycle? 31 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you for your reply. What about the antibody. Can that be reversed? Is it very normal to have thyroid because of antibody?

Starting the medicine is my only choice? I was a little hesitant since this is a lifetime medicine.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The antibody levels can bre reversed with adequate treatment. The treatment is not necessary life long. The raised levels can come to normal levels after delivery.
An early treatment is recommended.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.