Trying for kid, smoke 6-7 cigarettes a day. Sperm analysis labs in Mumbai?

Question
We are trying for a kid since three months and haven't succeeded yet.
I smoke around 6-7 cigrettes a day and that is scaring me now. So I want to make sure I am healthy enough, so wanted to know if there are any sperm analysis labs in Mumbai. I stay in Chembur so if you can help me finding a good lab where they can conduct proper testing of spems, it would be great.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 31 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for the Query.

I Would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Since how long are you married?
2.) How old is your wife?
3.) Are her periods regular?
4.) What is your Height and weight?
5.) What is your wife's height and weight?

Going by your History, there seems to be nothing serious except your Smoking habit and your anxiety to impregnate your Wife. You can visit any of the pathology labs close to Chembur. You can also consider visiting XXXXXXX labs or Thyrocare Labs at Mumbai or pay a visit to XXXXXXX Hospital and Research Centre to get your Semen Analysis done.

At this stage i would not suggest you this test or ask your wife to get examined as you have been planning for kids for just three months. The detailed testing for both of you is called for, if you have been trying for more than a year, so you can just relax.

You and your Wife should follow these steps:

1.) If you smoke and drink, avoid them.
2.) Exercise regularly for 30 to 40 minutes daily and maintain a healthy weight.
3.) Both of you should avoid high calorie foods, eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables
4.) If her periods are regular, get her examined by a Gynecologist to rule out if she has Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) or Thyroid problem as both these conditions reduce fertility.
5.) If her periods are regular have unprotected between the 10th and 20th day of her cycle which is the fertile period.
6.) Avoid using any lubricant jellies while having sex.
7.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Goof Health.

Take Care.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Trying for kid, smoke 6-7 cigarettes a day. Sperm analysis labs in Mumbai? 29 minutes later
Here are the details that you asked:
1.) Since how long are you married? completing 4 years in December
2.) How old is your wife? 25
3.) Are her periods regular? Yes (28 Days cycle)
4.) What is your Height and weight? 6 Feet, 76 KGs
5.) What is your wife's height and weight? 5.4, 67 KGs

Have some more questions:
1. I read somewhere that you should have sex on alternate days so that sperm count can replenish. Do you recommend the same?

2. I would like to know how much time it takes for a sperm to reach eggs. Reason I am asking is to know after how much time can my wife go to restroom?

3. How many days/hours are eggs available for fertilization? I heard they are available only for 12-20 hours. Is this true?

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 27 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back.

Your follow up answer is absolutely fine except your wife's weight which is Overweight. She has to reduce her weight. Ask her to follow the lifestyle changes which I had suggested earlier.

Now coming to your Questions,

Ans 1.) Yes you have read it right, you are supposed to have alternate day sex between the 10th and 20th day of her cycle.

Ans 2.) The sperm reaches the eggs within seconds and there is no specific time range. She can go to restroom, 15 minutes after you have ejaculated inside her.

Ans 3.) You are close to right, An egg lives 12-24 hours after leaving the ovary.

Hope I have answered all your Queries.

Take Care.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Trying for kid, smoke 6-7 cigarettes a day. Sperm analysis labs in Mumbai? 1 hour later
One last question:

: Then don't you think having sex on alternate days can miss the egg?

Internet says it takes 45 mins to 6 hours for a sperm to reach egg. Is this true?

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 26 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank you once again for writing back.

For your question, the normal ovulation happens on the 14th day in a 28 day cycle so accordingly you can plan and have unprotected sex on 10th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 18th and 20th day.

Don't believe on the information which you get on the Internet they are not genuine, as they don't follow strict medical guidelines most of the time. As I had said earlier there is no time range according to which the sperm travels, it all depends on the sperm motility and also motile sperm density.

I hope this answers your query.

Good Luck and Take Care.

Best Regards.