Trying for baby and using ovulation kit. Had late periods with little flow. Was that implantation bleeding?

We have been trying for a baby & using an ovulation kit. My period was due last tues 30th July, it did not come & did a test on 1st Aug in evening was negative. Late evening on 2nd I started bleeding but it only lasted 12 hours approx & only used two tampons which were not really used. Not sure if this was implantation bleeding as it has been 13-14 days since sex
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I understand the anxiety and at times the stress that the desire to get pregnant can bring. I will like to let you know you that becoming pregnant is a game of chance and we need patience. Just continue taking your chances and before you know, you will be pregnant unless otherwise.

From the information you have provided, it is most likely that you are not pregnant. This is because a urine pregnancy test is usually almost 100% positive by the date of expected menses. The fact that this was negative sheds some dim light on the prospects of you being pregnant at this time.

I understand the bleeding lasted just 12hours and was not really any where close to your typical menstrual flow. This is the case but not very suggestive of implantation bleed and more so with a negative pregnancy test.

My advice now is to do another pregnancy test. If it is still negative, then rule out the prospects of pregnancy completely. Then, I will suggest that you patiently wait for the next menses and continue to take you chances to become pregnant.
If the test is positive, then you are pregnant.

I hope this addresses your query fully. if there are any related follow up questions to this query that have not been addressed, please ask follow up questions and I will be very glad to address them. I wish you the best with this process of trying to become pregnant and hope you become pregnant sooner than later and why not now.
Dr. Ditah, MD.