Trying for baby. Does watery semen means a low sperm count? Worrisome

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi there, my boyfreind and I are trying for a baby ... however i have noticed that he has quite watery semen ... does that mean a low sperm count? thanks.
Also we are trying home insemination (turkey baster method) as he can not seem to ejaculate inside me. Should I be worried by the consistency? Can you help? thanks
He has quite a lot of trouble ejaculating (even by mastabation) . However he does manage it in the end, however I am more worried about the contistancy
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 22 minutes later

We cannot judge the sperm count by visible appearance of the semen.
So as your boy friend is also having problem in ejaculation better to consult XXXXXXX or Urologist and get examined once:
To find out any structural abnormality.
And to undergo semen analysis.
By this primary workup possibly the cause for the difficulty in ejaculation can be find out and also the sperm count, motility, abnormal forms etc can be noted.
If any abnormality is found treatment can be given accordingly.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Trying for baby. Does watery semen means a low sperm count? Worrisome 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer. That makes sense.... I was going to go to my GP anyway to get a semen analysis done for my boyfriend. However just to confirm ... you are saying that the watery nature alone does not point to problems with fertility?
thank you for your help.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 6 hours later

Yes, usually semen will be in gooey, thick consistency during ejaculation. After that it will get liquefy in 30 minutes to one hour, which is taken as liquefaction time.
Changes in viscosity of the semen can affect the fertility, which can be known by semen analysis and it is difficult to judge just by naked eye appearance.
So better to undergo semen analysis.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.