Trying for a baby. Started bleeding with clots. Having back pain, sore breast. Sign of implantation bleeding?

I have a 29 day menstrual cycle and my last period was on 12th March 2013. Myself and my husband are actively trying for a baby and we had regular intercourse between 22nd March, 2013 to 1st April, 2013. On 2nd April I had very light brown discharge with burrowing pain which lasted for upto 3rd April. On 4th April there was a bit of bleeding (maroon color) with clots but there was no flow. This lasted till 6th April. On 6th April we did a pregnancy test which was negative and my doctor had advised that I should be getting my normal period in a week or so. However it has been a couple of weeks and there are no signs of the same. I am not sure whether the bleeding was implantation bleeding and also not sure whether to maintain active sex life as I fear it may hamper foetus if formed. Today I took a pregnancy test which was again negative. I am feeling tired, with vomiting sensation around 2 to 4 a.m in the morning. I am also having lower back pain and sore breasts.I am not sure whether I am pregnant, I am prepared though to wait for a positive result however, assuming the earlier bleeding in first week of April, 2013 was my normal period I also do not want to miss this months chance of having an intercourse and conceiving. Please confirm can I do so and whether will it in anyway affect if I have already conceived.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

As you have a 29-day cycle, if what you had around 2nd-6th April was not an early period, you should have had your period by now. There are two possibilities here presuming you are ovulating normally in spite of PCOD; either an implantation bleeding occurred around 2nd April, or you had a breakthrough bleeding due to some hormonal imbalance. In the present scenario, as you wish to know about your pregnancy status as soon as possible, you cannot rely on urine tests. You should go for a serum beta-hCG titre and a pelvic/trans-vaginal sonogram. This would either confirm or exclude a pregnancy and you can plan your next course thereupon.

Your symptoms may be seen in an early pregnancy as well as during the premenstrual phase; excess estrogen can also cause nausea.

If you have already conceived, intercourse should be avoided and bed rest is preferably taken as this would be a precious pregnancy and until things settle down to normal.

I would like to know if you had a complete evaluation by a specialist and advised any treatment. The evaluation should include a complete hormonal profile, glucose tolerance test, DHEAS levels, tubal patency, ovarian reserve status, pelvic sonogram and assessment of male factor. If any of these have not been done, please get them from an experienced doctor.

PCOD leads to irregular or absent ovulation and hence, if you wish to conceive, regular monitoring with ovulation induction may be necessary. Even if you do not ovulate, you can get regular anovulatory cycles and in such a situation, there is no point in trying to conceive naturally.

Reduction in excess body weight to attain a normal BMI helps in achieving regular ovulatory cycles in many people with PCOD and successful pregnancies have occurred without any other treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need any more clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Trying for a baby. Started bleeding with clots. Having back pain, sore breast. Sign of implantation bleeding? 10 minutes later
I have undergone diagnostic laparoscopy and ovarian drilling. I am consulting a specialist who has been monitoring me for normal ovulation patterns . I have been checked for tubal patency, ovarian reserves etc and they have been found to be normal. However, I have taken note of your advice and will do accordingly
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 11 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

It is good that you are being monitored. One additional thing that I would like to mention here with respect to your bleeding is the fact that you had an endometrial polyp removed recently. A recurrence should also be excluded as the cause of the bleeding.

Eat healthy and drink plenty of fluids. Please get back if you need any more clarifications. I will be ready to help.

Wish you success.

Follow-up: Trying for a baby. Started bleeding with clots. Having back pain, sore breast. Sign of implantation bleeding? 7 days later
I took a HPT yesterday but was negative. Today since morning I expereinced mild cramps in lower abdomen with milky white discharge. Considering 4th was my period I did an ovulation test which came positive. On account of this we kept relation today however, my husband feels that he is not able to penetrate to the same extent as last month. What could be the reason. We are very worried. Is it possible that the ovulation test came positive because of some other reason. Kindly guide us.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 23 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

False positive ovulation test can be seen in polycystic ovaries, peri-menopause and premature ovarian failure. This is because ovulation kit measures the LH hormone level which is elevated in these conditions.

If you conceived during the last cycle, your pregnancy test would be positive by now. A negative pregnancy test excludes pregnancy. You may also get a trans-vaginal sonogram to see what is wrong and consult your doctor for a suggestion.

It is sufficient if you can have unprotected intercourse on alternate days around the period of ovulation. Ovulation usually occurs around 30 hours after the LH surge that is detected in the ovulation kit. There is no need for deep penetration; it is enough if ejaculation occurs. Ovulation is accompanied by thin and profuse vaginal discharge; milky white discharge is seen in estrogenic (anovulatory) phase or when there is any vaginitis (if associated with irritation or burning sensation). Cramping is sometimes seen.

In the present scenario, you can only wait until your next cycle if your doctor has examined you and ruled out pregnancy. Hope for the best.

Hope I have answered all your questions. If there are no further queries, you may close this discussion. You can contact me whenever you want. I will be ready to help.

Wish you success.