Trying for a baby. Is it safe to take evanac 600 mg tablets?

Sep 2012

Hi Doctor,

I am married for one and a half years.We have been trying for a baby but without any success.Two months before we consulted a doctor who prescribed me.Syphene 50 gm (5 tablets from the 3rd day of my periods) and folic acid tablets 5 gm(90 days).I took it last month and still continuing folic acid tablet.When checked for Ovulation last month after having the medicine the result was negative.This month I consulted another doctor who gave me Fertyl 50gm (5 tablets from the 4th day of my periods, which is going on now) and Evanac 600 mg tablets for 10 days (from the 4th day of my periods) .Is it safe to have the medicine again?How much does it take for the medicine I consumed first to start working. What test should I do to check my ovulation before going in for the medicines? My prolactin result was 11.8 ng/ml ,TSH 2.6 ml U/L & FBS,Plasma 86 mg/dl. Pelvis result No pelvic pathology detected.
My husband checked his sperm count and the result is as follows
Ist test (05/06/2012)
Volume - 1.5 ml
Active motile - 70%
Total Count - 46.4 million/ml
Liquification time - 15 min
2nd test (28-09-12)
Volume - 2 ml
actively motile - 30%
Liquefaction time - 1hour
Total Count - 75 millions /ml
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for your query.

To understand the answers you should know some basic physiology. Ovulation occurs from ovary. It is a complex mechanism which depends on some hormones called Luteinizing Hormone ( LH) and follicular stimulating hormone (FSH). LH surge is responsible for ovulation. Ovulation occurs in every menstrual cycle between 10 to 18 days counting the first day of bleeding as day one. So, for a better result, you can try for pregnancy on these days in a natural way.

The drug you are taking ( syphene or fertyl ) contains clomifene. It causes increased secretion of gonadotropins which ultimately leads to increased level of LH which ultimately causes ovulation. So, if you take this drug you will have increased chance of ovulation and pregnancy. The other drug Evanac is nothing but an antioxidant. It can just support the environment for ovulation. You have to continue the folic acid for a normal pregnancy.

From the above discussion, it is clear that you can take Clomifene to induce ovulation. It is safe.

Now, the time required for the action of these drugs depends on some other parameters. It varies person to person.

Prolactin levels and TSH are more or less normal. But, for ovulation, optimum prolactin level is slightly higher than the present level.

Do an ultrasound scan of whole abdomen to rule out any anatomical abnormality of uterus and also to exclude a chance of polycystic ovarian syndrome.

To track your ovulation some physiological methods are known like maintaining a body temperature chart, examining the consistency of the vaginal secretion every day. But these are not practical. The most sensitive test is ultrasound scan. You have to consult with an infertility specialist for ordering ultrasound monitoring of ovulation. According to this monitoring you have to try for pregnancy to get better result.

Do not get upset about these. Now-a-days , there are many updated treatment modalities for infertility.

About the both the tests. Motility of the sperm is also within normal limit. Active and sluggishly motile sperm should be more than 50% for a normal fertilization.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.