Trying for a baby. How to calculate ovulation period?

Mar 2016

My last cycle was 55 days from day 1 to day 1 of periods. My last period was 22 February - when am I likely to ovulate as we are trying for a baby - thanks
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. S Patra 57 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer.

First of all, menstrual cycle at 55 days interval is not a normal thing and it is called oligomenorrhoea (irregular delayed period) in medical term. Physiologically normal period occurs at 28-30 days interval. But cycle in between 21-35 days is also considered as normal thing.

Reasons for oligomenorrhoea are ovarian cyst or PCOD (most common) along with other associated factors like stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset, hormonal imbalance including thyroid disturbance, irregular eating habit, overweight or extreme weight loss, taking any psychiatric medication etc.

The possibilities can be narrowed by means of several tests such as ultrasound scan (USG) for lower abdomen, Complete hormone assay ( LH / FSH level, blood estrogen & progesterone levels), blood sugar & prolactin level, Blood testosterone & DHEA level, thyroid profile etc.

As you are trying to conceive, then you must have to regularize your period to calculate ovulation time or fertile days appropriately which gives in turn higher chance of being pregnant. Generally, ovulation occurs 14 days prior to commence next due period in regular cycle. In such case, fertile days will be 10th to 18th day of each cycle. You can use ovulation prediction kit (OPK) to predict ovulation time.

In addition, serial follicular study of ovarian follicle is quite useful to monitor ovulation. Day-21 progesterone assay or endometrial biopsy can be done for the same.

Proper medical treatment depends on underlying etiological factors. You may need to take hormonal medication with other supportive therapy to regularize your period. Therefore, I suggest you to consult with a gynecologist who can guide above mentioned investigations after a physical examination.

The following measures can be helpful to improve fertility :

1) Take healthy diet with vitamin & folic acid supplements. You may need to take good hematinics.
2) Complete avoidance of salty/ fatty/ junk food stuffs.
3) Try to avoid stress by yoga/ XXXXXXX breathing regularly (20-30 times).
4) Drink plenty of water and eat more XXXXXXX vegetables & fresh fruits.
5) Control body weight by regular physical exercise. Maintain personal hygiene.
6) May need one psychological counseling for healthy life style. Always take a sound sleep with complete relaxation.

Hope above information is very much helpful & understandable to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

You can directly consult with me by visiting my profile on WWW.WWWW.WW and press the button "ask me a question".

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.