Trying for a baby. Had drink after intercourse. When can I actually have positive pregnancy test?

Question
Hello, I am 37 years old and have been trying to fall pregnant for 3 months. My fertile days were from 16.7.- 20.7.with 21.7. ovulation date. I had intercourse on the 19.7 (night). and 20.7.(morning). We went out for some drinks on the 20.7. as well&we were intoxicated-could i be pregnant? and when do you actually say you "are "pregnant? Is that the day you had intercourse or 3 weeks after intercourse, when you actually have a positive pregnancy test. I also have a wedding to attend tonight and I tend to binge drink (10-12 drinks) but don't drink during the week at all... what are the risks in my situation.
Thank you!
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 21 minutes later

You had sex during fertile days so practically there are chances of pregnancy.

Normally after 14 days of conception you can detect HCG in urine and blood. That is almost after couple of days of missing period.

Unless you miss your period you can not know whether you are pregnant or not. You can go for pregnancy test with urine kit testing after about couple of days of missing period. That correlated to about 15 days after conception.

As far as alcohol is concerned it is better to avoid in any amount. It is harmful to the baby and should be avoided any time during pregnancy.

I hope this helps

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Trying for a baby. Had drink after intercourse. When can I actually have positive pregnancy test? 17 minutes later
I know that alcohol consumption is bad during pregnancy. If I find out that I'm pregnant in a couple of weeks I won't be drinking any alcohol.

My question is now could I jeopardise my chance of falling prgnant in my case if I drink alcohol tonight for the wedding (how much) or has the the egg&sperm already attached to my wall and there is no risk in messing up a potential pregnancy? 8 days after having unprotected intercourse during my fertile period, 2&1 day before ovulation.
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 15 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

In case the conception has occurred, the products of conception should have been attached to the wall of uterus by now. There are chances of damaging the pregnancy in case of taking alcohol.

Alcohol needs to be avoided even when you are planning for pregnancy. It can harm baby during any phase of pregnancy.

There is no method of knowing at this stage whether you are pregnant or not.

To avoid confusion and possible side effects it is advisable that you do not take alcohol in any amount at present.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Trying for a baby. Had drink after intercourse. When can I actually have positive pregnancy test? 9 minutes later
Sorry to bother you again. I have read that most women don't know that they are pregnant for several weeks and have consumed alcohol beforehand, even binge drinking and their doctor said that that is not a problem because the fetus feeds off the egg yolk for the first 4 weeks or something. I will NOT drink when the pregnancy test next week comes back, but I really would like to have a few drinks at the wedding tonight but I am concerned, that all the hard work for the last 3 months trying to fall pregnant was for nothing... I'm wondering, if I run chance I could lose this pregnancy if I drink only tonight... or if everything is already attached to the wall (if it worked) there is no chance that I'll lose this pregnancy.
Thank you again :-)

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 40 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

I am sorry dear but I do not have numbers here to show you, that how many women drink alcohol when they were pregnant and what was pregnancy out come. By and large alcohol in any form should be avoided for women who are planning to get pregnant and pregnant at any stage of pregnancy.

You need to define your priority. You were trying to get pregnant for last 3 months. We do not whether you are pregnant or not and there are no ways by which one can know it at this stage.

One party here and there should not make much difference to you.

I hope this helps you in taking informed decision now.

Dr.Pragnesh