Trouble sleeping, taken two Advil tablets, have quit drinking. Medication safe?

ENT Specialist
Hello I quit drinking 4 days ago & am having trouble sleeping. I took 2 Advil PM tonight approximately 30 minutes ago with no luck. Is this safe first of all? Can I have one drink in an attempt to get to sleep as I have a very important day ahead of me?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 58 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. It is safe to have taken 2 (Two) tablets of Advil PM.

2. Diphenhydramine is a sedative. Give it some more time to act. Sometimes paradoxical reactions can cause excitation leading to a difficulty in falling asleep. Should this happen, do not take any more tablets under any circumstances.

3. Avoid alcohol as it adds to the sedative effects of Advil PM. Alcohol may worsen the gastritis commonly seen with Ibuprofen though 400 (2x200) mg is ok.

4. There are better medications available now for inducing sleep such as zolpidem. Try these under the supervision of your physician. Remember that all these drugs are designed for short term use only.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.