Trouble sleeping, overweight, taking Synthroid for underactive thyroid, taking Micardis for BP. Herbal medication for sleeping?

Infertility Specialist
Just recently, I have trouble sleeping at night - seems like trouble getting to sleep - or waking up every hour on the hour - of course after several nights of this I feel exhausted - I am a bit overweight and I am sticking to a healthy diet and exercising 30 minutes each day - I do not drink any caffeine at all - try to stay away from sugar - I take Micardis Plus - 80 mg- 1 a day for blood pressure and synthroid 175 mg. for underactive thyroid, I also take one Caltrate Plus per day - I am 63 years old - I try to go to bed at the same time each night and get up at the same time in the morning and don't allow myself to take a nap. Before this last couple of weeks I would have an occasional night I did not sleep well but have never had so many nights in a row - don't want to take a sleeping pill - is there a health store herbal something I could take to help get to sleep and stay asleep without the side effects of sleeping pills?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later

Please revert back with answers to the following questions so that I can help you better.

Whether there is any stress in your life?
Are you anxious about some matter ?
Is there any new event in life recently about which you keep thinking ?

If answer is yes to above, you need to reduce your thoughts on those.

The possible reasons for your decreased sleep could be...

1) Stress,

2) Excess synthroxin dosage causes these symtoms in some people. Please get you thyroid levels tested to see if you need ti change dosage.

3) Along with 30 minutes of excercise everyday, do some muscle relaxing excercises.

4) Yoga and meditation would help you more than sleeping pills. So start yoga & meditation.

5) have adequate dinner everyday. Drink a glass of milk before bedtime.

6) avoid seeing television at night which makes you to loose sleep for sometime.

I hope i answered your queries. Pleaae accept my answer if no more queries.