Ask a Urologist   »  

Trouble in urinating and lower intestine putting pressure on bladder. What could be the reason?

I have trouble urinating and I think my lower intestine is putting pressure on my bladder. When gas or fecal matter is moving through the lower intestine and hits the area around the bladder, the feeling is that I am on the verge of urinating on myself unless I can get to a toilet quickly. Is it possible my lower intestine has moved and is causing me problems?
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, the intestines may affect bladder function.

Detailed Answer:
Good Day!

The large intestines can affect the urinary bladder if the large intestines is dilated and filled up either with air or feces or both. The dilated intestines would press down on the bladder thereby reducing the amount of space that the urinary bladder can expand on to making you urinate more frequently. The dilated colon may also irritate the urinary bladder thereby causing the urinary frequency and urgency.

But this condition only happens on severe intestinal dilatation and uncommon. The most common cause of urinary frequency and urinary urgency (sudden strong desire to urinate) is still UTI may also affect intestinal function causing gas build-up (ileus). To check for UTI, we need to do a urinalysis to check for pus cells in the urine.

Another condition that I would want to check-on is prostate enlargement. Since you are already in the age of 50. Prostate enlargement is felt as urinary frequency, weak stream and feeling of inadequate void. Diabetes may also aggravate urinary problems in patient's with prostate enlargement. A KUB (kidney , Urinary bladder) Ultrasound will be helpful to check on prostate size and to see any bladder abnormalities.

Once we know for sure what is causing your symptoms then we can decide on a treatment plan.