Trouble focusing eyes, Judo injury. Concerned about pituitary tumor or brain atrophy?

My 23 year old son is having focusing problems with his eyes. He was adopted at age 6 from a Romanian Orphanage. Four months ago he complained of vision problems after being slammed in Judo and hitting his head. I took him to his XXXXXXX medicine doctor, an Ophtalmologist and a optomotrist. He had a brain scan (CT Scan, not an MRI). I was concerned about torn retina...or bleeding in the brain. They said he appeared to be fine, his eyes looked healthy. One test that the ophtalmologist did came out inconclusive by my son's answers. He thought he should be looked at by another doctor. They sent his file, but the other doctor did not want to see him. Now 4 months later, he is still complaining of focusing problems. He is a film maker and he does use the computer for hours on end. I was concerned that it could be stress...or eye strain...or dehydration. I am concerned so I sent him back to the eye doctor to check his glass prescription. He said that the got worst since 4 months ago...1 eye changed one point and the other eye changed five points. He gave him a new class prescription and we are waiting to receive the new glasses. I think the change is too drastic for a four month period. I am concerned that it could be something that these doctors can't see from the tests or cat scan. The eye doctor said that it was difficult to get a good reading because he said he wasn't consistant...when he was putting the different lenses in front of his eyes. I am at a loss what to do right now. Should I request a MRI? Could it be a pituitary tumor or brain anthophy...considering too that he was from a orphanage? Eight months ago he had a reaction to alcohol (Wine) that landed him in the hospital. He never really drank and this night he had too much and the doctors said he had a very bad reaction to it. Could that have caused anything that the eye doctors can not see....effect on his brain/eye?? Any suggestions would be welcome. He says that it bothers him the most at night when he is driving, so he has been hesitant to drive his car and is taking a bus places. I don't know if this is something just in his head...or it is something we are overlooking that we need to check. Thanks so much. XXXXXXX ( YYYY@YYYY )
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
Your son seems to be alright.
The missed blow he received during Karate probably was the result of poor vision and not a cause for this.
Your Ophthalmologist is very right.
The boy is having a problem which is called Anisometropia, which would lead to a severe disability to focus the vision and eyes would appear diverted intermittently.
I would suggest to get the correct power specs and keep them always on otherwise the problem would become worse only.
Regarding it's fast development- it is true it has been unbelievably fast and falsely appears to be related to the karate blow but trust me a karate blow can not produce refractory error in eyes even if one gets 10 hits.
Have you not seen karate fights- still the players are without specs!
I do not think he should go for an MRI, CT Brain is good enough.
And yes he must not drive till he gets adjusted to his specs corrected vision which usually take a day or two.
I think you can rest now as there is nothing serious left in this matter.
If you have any doubts I would be happy to work on them and if not then you can write a review about my clinical acumen and recommend others personally.
I hope you would be benefited by my opinion.
I wish your son a great health!