Triple by-pass done. Get dizziness with metoprsolol. Any safe substitute?

I have had triple by-pass surgery six months ago. They prescribed me metoprolol 15mg. a day for my blood pressure. I also take at the same time ramipril 5mg., and hydrochlorthiazide 12.5mg. The metoprolol make me dizzy. Can I replace it safely with lisinopril 20mg. safely with these other medications without seeing my PCP?
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 48 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one. I will try to work on providing you with some good information and recommendations.

I do not know of any 15 mg dose of metoprolol. Usually it comes in 2550 or 100 mg doses. Sometimes also there is a 12.5 mg dose.

I would advise you strongly against replacing the metoprolol with lisinopril. You are already taking ramipril. There is no indication to take two medications in the same class and lisinopril and ramipril are in the same class. The metoprolol is very important in preventing additional cardiac events in your case. I would discuss your symptoms with your doctor and he might adjust your dose or perhaps tell you to take the medication at bedtime.

Thanks again for sending a question.

Dr. Galamaga