Tried skipping periods by taking birth control pills. Heavy periods now. How to end it ?

I tried to skip my period while taking the birth control dug XXXXXXX didn't work. Instead I had spotting for a few days, a really heavy period for about 10 hours and now I still have my period (although not heavy) and am cramping again. It has been 9 days since skipping the sugar pills and starting on the new pack. What can I do end this period? Should I continue to take the pills or stop them?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 26 minutes later

Skipping the placebo pills and continuously taking the birth control pills is a common way of skipping periods but sometimes it may cause heavy and irregular bleeding. This is breakthrough bleeding caused by the amount of hormones in birth control.

Stopping the pills midway may make the situation worse and hence you should continue taking it after consulting your gynecologist.

To decrease bleeding you can get prescribed Tranexemic acid from your doctor or progestogen to stop bleeding.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.