Tried out all possible treatments for chronic insomnia but no improvement. Give a permanent solution

I have been tried on a slew of pharmacological and nonpharmacological treatments for chronic insomnia since I was a child. I have tried everything imaginable from the standard zolpidem to trazadone and quetiapine, to hydroxyzine, etc etc etc.. So far but one either do not work at all or I am not comfortable with the health risks or side effects. I was prescribed one drug while living in Japan, etizolam, known as Depas there, and I had no problem falling asleep, and there's never a single problem staying asleep until time to start my new day. We started at .5mg each night, trying at that dose for three nights, and increasing the dose by another .5mg per night if there were no results by the third night. In the end it turned out that I needed 2mg to fall asleep properly and stay sound asleep until morning. I have been taking 2mg etizolam each night without a problem for about one month and have not built any sort of tolerance at this point. Now I have moved to another country and so I import my etizolam from India as Etilaam and continue to take the medication as prescribed. I have read that tolerance can be an issue, but that the tolerance might tend to develop differently depending on whether it is being used for anxiety, depression, sleep, etc. The effects of tolerance develop differently according to the different ailments. And in some cases, for some ailments, there might be no tolerance. So could you tell me, without a simple "yes this is totally fine," or "no, this is quite similar to a benzodiazepine and is therefore highly tolerance-building and therefore addicting," whether this might be a viable long term solution to my sleeping issues, and whether I should expect to develop a tolerance over time. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 32 hours later
Brief Answer: clarifications required Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. However I would require a couple of more details to help you in answering your query in a better justified way. 1) Do you have any known medical issues? 2. Did you ever have any other psychiatric illnesses like depression or anxiety. 3. Are you on any other daily meds other than etilaam 4. Have you ever checked your thyroid profile? Hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience. Regards and wish you good health, Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
Follow-up: Tried out all possible treatments for chronic insomnia but no improvement. Give a permanent solution 15 hours later
Hi there, Thank you for your response. Actually, this is for my girlfriend. I've asked her the questions you've given me, and she says that both of her parents are doctors, and so recently they made her get her thyroid levels checked (all is normal), and she's recently (due to one case of mental illness in the family) had a comprehensive psychological examination (three one-hour sessions), and they found all is normal besides the sleep problem, which she's seen doctors for for years. Also, no other daily meds. Thank you again
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Tolerance may develop Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up clarifications. Coming to your specific question directly. Etizolam is a benzodiazepine and theorotically it is supposed to produce tolerance with use. However research has shown that etizolam has a very small chance of tolerance and I have personally seen patients using etizolam for more than 5 years with out any tolerance. So as of now you can continue taking the medication. Other than this do some aerobic exercises in the morning, cut down seriously on alcohol/tea/coffee/cola etc. , do some relaxation exercises in the morning like yoga meditation or biofeedback exercises. Hope that helps Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Follow-up: Tried out all possible treatments for chronic insomnia but no improvement. Give a permanent solution 1 hour later
Thank you so much for your helpful response. You checked into the personal medical situation before giving a response that answered the question directly. Please reply to this message so I can close this session and review/give feedback on your help. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Good to know thay i was of help to you Detailed Answer: Hello Nice to know that i was of help to you. I case in future you need to know anything you can contact me directly by the link Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy