Tried Montelukast, Flovent and prednisone for Cold and RAD but no help. Can Naproxen help?

ENT Specialist
Whenever I get a cold, I end up with a full blown case of RAD. Through my doctor I've tried Montelukast, Flovent, Ventoline and predisone. Nothing has worked, no matter how early I start the cycle. I'm wondering if Naproxen might help calm my respiratory inflammation?
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: take medicines as given below Detailed Answer: Hello, Naproxen may not help. For allergy , most importantly you should see the things the places which may cause it and try to avoid them. Secondly whenever you get cold you need to take --- Antibiotics Oral decongestants nasal decongestants---- and steroid nasal sprays. If you do not use decongestants the steroid sprays will not act properly and to the proper extent . as without de-congestion the steroid spray will not be able to reach the deeper part in nasal cavity . In addition most importantly you also require normal saline nasal sprays as ---without saline wash the bacteria or the spores or dust will not come down and will remain stick to the place and cause more and more allergy response and there will be no use of taking steroid sprays. For asthma; if you have it you will require spray but if dont then you stop using ventoline. At home you can take coffee and tea to avoid asthma .coffee is better. Avoid taking oral steroids again and again , i avoid giving it to my patients as they may cause (if taken again and again ) stomach upset, skin problems , hormonal imbalance and cataract too. In doubt do reply
Follow-up: Tried Montelukast, Flovent and prednisone for Cold and RAD but no help. Can Naproxen help? 31 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. My question is specific to inflammation and irritation in my lungs. I'm looking for some suggestions on how to treat that when my RAD flares up. The medications I mentioned before have been unsuccessful.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: take medicines when you have cold Detailed Answer: Hello , Are you talking about dry cough you develop after cold ? For that only, I have written that you need to take care right in the start if you have cold. So that the lower respiratory condition does not develops . Once the trachea ie the wind pipe gets inflammed then it takes time to go and so you require steroids to reduce the inflammation. In doubt do reply.
Follow-up: Tried Montelukast, Flovent and prednisone for Cold and RAD but no help. Can Naproxen help? 33 minutes later
Yes, it is dry cough. I did start to treat right from the start, but the lower condition still develops.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: take nasal sprays Detailed Answer: Hello, In that situation you should take steroid nasal spray for long and continue normal saline nasal spray for long time. These sprays will prevent the cold or allergic response to happen and also keep nasal skin healthy. And when you have cold take antihistaminics for short duration as dryness is a complication of these drugs and which may aggravate the lower respiratory tract cough.