Tried Modafinil and Provigal with negative results. Narcloeptic events increases and no change in catapectic events, continued Dexedrine

Nov 2013

I have tried Modafinil and Provigal as was suggested with only negative results. Narcoleptic events increased and there was no apparent change in the catapectic events, they were still of very slight consequenses. I then continued with the 5mg Dexedrine per day routine. 2+ years ago when the price of Dexedrine went from $96.00 for 30 pills to $596.00 for 30 pills I started on 10mg capsules per day, this is when the catapectic events increase from maybe 2 or 3 in a year to sometimes as many as 2 or 3 per day.
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Other medications could help you

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

It is unfortunate that your symptoms are not appropriately reduced with medications. Moreover, the cost has also increased.
For treating cataplexy, some other drugs are also useful. These include antidepressants and Xyrem.
Antidepressants already proven to be useful in treating cataplectic attacks include tricyclic antidepressants and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).
Xyrem is useful in those patients when regular drugs fail to control cataplectic attacks.

Please discuss about these drugs with your doctor.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My blog: