Trichomonas, UTI, flagyl

I have just been diagnosed with trichomonas and am taking flagyl. I also battle recurrent UTIs and have one now. My boyfriend was tested and he didn't have it. my question is: How could I have contracted this, since he was the only one I've been with and he says he's only been with me for two years?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Thanks for query.

Trichomonas is sexually transmitted infection. Male are often asymptomatic carries. It means in males this remains largely asymptomatic and still they can infect women.

As with any other sexually transmitted disease this spreads from one to another.

As far as recurrent UTI is concerned, there are various possible reasons.

1.Resistant UTI,means the drugs that you take for treatment are not effective
2.In complete course
3.Poor hygiene
4.In complete evaluation. At times apart from urine examination ultrasound is also advised to look for possible reason.

Above all because of short urethra in females there is natural tendency for this.

Please do the following to get rid of this recurrent problem.

1.Go for urine culture and sensitivity test and then only take antibiotic as per the report.Complete the full course as advised.
2.Treat you partner also,though asymptomatic
3.Please have a habit of passing urine before and after the sexual relation
4.Maintain good local hygiene.

I hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up also.