Trembling lips and mouth. Have Parkinson's disease. Using DBS. Any other options?

Neurologist
Question
I have a trembling mouth. I have parkinsons and I have recently activated a DBS XXXXXXX Brain Stimulator. It has contrilled most of the other shaking but the mouth and lips are still trembling?
my tongue and my lower jaw are continously moving aswell.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 9 hours later

Thanks for posting your query
XXXXXXX brain stimulation in Idiopathic Parkinsonism controls most of the symptoms except a few like tremors, speech problems and gait disturbances. Simply put, DBS will control those symptoms which were initially controlled by Levodopa.

So I personally feel that if the tremors of the mouth and lips are mild and not disabling, no treatment is required. Using a small dose of trihexyphenidyl would be of benefit if they become disabling. Since this is a prescription drug, I would suggest that you consult your treating physician for the same.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist