Treatment for weakness, tiredness, headache, nausea and light-headed?

Pediatrician, Critical Care
I have been having horrible spells of weakness and tiredness along with headache and nausea and lightheaded. Also my jaw bow has been very sore to touch. My tooth has a huge hole in it.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 4 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX for your query.

I would like to know few things to help you better:
1. Are you running temperature?
2. How long have the symptoms been going?
3. What did Dentist suggested for hole in the tooth?
4. Is your jaw bone hurting at nearly similar place for the problematic tooth inside?
5. Are you currently taking any medications?
6. Have you got any difficulty swallowing things?

It seems that there is strong possibility of infection. In this situation, antibiotics are needed along with pain killers. Choice of antibiotics depend on where the infection is located.

If it is tooth, you would need to see a doctor to get your antibiotics.

In the meantime
1. Take pain killers containing Ibuprofen
2. Try and take plenty of fluids, juices etc to give you energy
3. I hope you have somebody to help you at home.

Waiting for your reply.

Dr Tejas Shah
Follow-up: Treatment for weakness, tiredness, headache, nausea and light-headed? 23 hours later
No fever. Its been going on a few days. No temperature. Jaw hurts at the joint bone only if I press on it. I am taking hydrocodone for pain one or twice daily do to post op lap gallbladder surgery two weeks ago. Also I take blood pressure, meds daily. And I am on antibiotics.
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 32 minutes later
It is good to know you are on antibiotics - that should cover you for some infections.

Hydrocodone can give side effects like nausea and light-headedness. This drug may be the cause of most of your symptoms. I would request to change to different pain-killer like Paracetamol & Ibuprofen and see if you improve.

In addition your BP needs to be checked, as occasionally low blood pressure can also give similar symptoms.

If after changing analgesic medications, things don't settle within 24 hours, I request you to see your family physician and your blood pressure and jaw bone examined.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr Tejas Shah
Follow-up: Treatment for weakness, tiredness, headache, nausea and light-headed? 44 minutes later
Ok. Also I just don't feel good. Tired. Run down. Just feel very bad. Can this be side effect from surgery?
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 1 hour later
I don't feel it is related to side effect from surgery itself. However, based on your symptoms and severity, I would be worthwhile to consider a review from your surgeon and family physician so as not to miss any major problem. Your hospital were you had surgery will have an emergency contact number to get review ASAP.

You may need some blood investigations or scan of abdomen to get to the bottom of the problem.

Please revert back to discuss further, if there are any further queries.

Dr Tejas Shah