Treatment for swollen thyroid?

Nov 2013

my daughter is 42 has no ins. Her thyroids are really swollen. What should she do for treatment? She has no ins.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First is to check her thyroid profile (blood test). If she has hypothyroidism (thyroid deficiency), then thyroid hormone supplements would be required. Thyroid antibody blood test also would be required.

Second, she should have an ultrasound scan of the thyroid gland. If it shows features of a nodule/irregularity, then FNAC (fine needle aspiration) may help in deciding the cause for the thyroid swelling.

There is no need to worry, as most often, thyroid swelling is due to benign causes and can be well treated.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow-up: Treatment for swollen thyroid? 28 minutes later
do you know a free clinic she can go to in the XXXXXXX Fl. area or one that goes by her income? Please help me fine where to take her. thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for getting back.
I am not aware of a free clinic in that area.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM