Treatment for sudden onset of slurring of speech, disorientated behaviour and dizzy spells?

Hi My son inlaw is 40 years old.& over wieght, Today while talking to him his speech became very quiet and hard to hear. He was also slurring his words . I know he was not affected by alcohol. He was also doing a few other strange things like repacking the freezer we had just empted so we could shift it. Then he drove his beloved car into bushes leaving it badly scratched. I then asked him to come and pick me up after I delivered a tractor to another part of the farm. he never turned up. I rang & got a Drs appointment & he now has an appointment for a head xray (MIR I guess) He was also very tired. I was sure the Dr would check blood pressure & blood sugar levels as I suspected diabetes but he didn't . Any ideas? He has also been having dizzy spells
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 41 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

A sudden onset of slurring of speech, disorientated / abnormal behaviour and dizzy spells is indicative of a neurological problem. His doctor has done the right thing by asking for a brain scan and a serious neurological problem such as a stroke or a brain bleed should be ruled out first.

He also needs to have a thorough physical examination, including a neurological examination, checking of his BP, sugars as well as certain other blood tests. I'm sure his doctor will do the necessay evaluations and be able to arrive at a correct diagnosis.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist