Treatment for sore throat with white blisters, head congestion, diarrhoea and swollen lymph node on neck?

What do you think may be the cause of a sore throat with white blisters in throat, head congestion, and diarrhea that is a yellowish-green color? Lymph nodes on front of neck are also swollen, and head feels hot but I'm not sure if that because of a fever or because my hands are cold -- as I am currently somewhere where it is cold.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 30 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Sore throat,head congestion, fever and enlarged lymph nodes can commonly occur in viral illnesses. The lymph nodes are responsible for fighting off infection in particular parts of the body and those in the neck will respond to a throat infection and other symptoms involving the head and neck.They will resolve 2 to 3 weeks after the illness abates.
Sore throats are usually because of a virus but in some cases it can be due to bacterial infection and require a course of antibiotics. If you treat it appropriately and the pain does not decrease after 3 to 4 days or worsens then you may need to have it evaluated because it may be secondary to a bacterial infection.In some persons the white blisters that you are describing can actually be areas of pus indicating a bacterial infection.

Treatment would normally entail the use of antiseptic and analgesic sprays or mouthwashes which can usually be obtained over the counter.
Pain medication can also be used such as paracetamol, this would also help the fever.

Diarrhoea can result in yellow green stool because the bile , which normally results in the brown colour, has not had the chance to change the stool brown because of the fast transit of the stool through the intestines. It is common in diarrhoea and the colour corrects itself after the diarrhoea resolves.
The most important aspect of treating diarrhoea is fluids management to avoid dehydration. You should avoid solid food for now ,at least 24 hrs.

Decongestants will help with the congested feeling. These can be oral or topically applied to the nose. The oral decongestants are normally combined with antihistamines which would also be helpful.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Treatment for sore throat with white blisters, head congestion, diarrhoea and swollen lymph node on neck? 9 minutes later
Thank you for your speedy response. I just have one more concern: I also have a fairly annoying headache along with all of the other symptoms described. In your opinion, do you think this is a virus or should I be tested for strep? So far, this has been going on for roughly three days. The first couple days were not this problematic, it is only today that I have been experiencing the throat blisters, diarrhea, and headache.

Though this may be a bit out of the realm of this website, I did also want to ask: if I do indeed need to be tested for and treated for Strep, what options do I have since I have no insurance and no ability to cover the entire cost of a doctor's office visit?

Thank you for your time
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 minutes later
The headache is likely related to the other viral symptoms,headache commonly accompanies viral illnesses.

If the sore throat has been going on for 3 days already you may need to be tested for strep.

Speaking under correction because I work in a different medical system but I believe it would be possible to speak to a persons at a medicaid office to see if you would qualify for reduced cost or free care.
Some emergency care centers may also see persons at reduced or free cost,again under correction.
The cost of a visit can range from 100 to 150 dollars.

Please feel free to ask any other questions